Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/lone-pine-koala-sanctuary-143611/)

Capt. Orca Jan 19th, 2002 03:17 PM

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

We really want to hold a koala, but wonder if the stop in Brisbane for Lone Pine Sanctuary is worth it since we only have 2 weeks. We are spending a week on the GBR, and the rest in Sydney. We are going the end of May, so it will be winter down south. How are the Koala encounters in Sydney? I understand the regulations to protect the animals are stricter in NSW than in Brisbane. Any suggestions or experiences anyone can share would be welcome. This is our first trip to Oz.

Lynda Jan 19th, 2002 08:41 PM

We spent four days in Sydney, flew to Brisbane and then flew north to the GBR. We visited Lone Pine. It is basically a zoo devoted to Australian wildlife. Our children held the koalas and got their picture taken with them (for a fee - they use the money to cover expenses). They have strict restrictions about how long the koalas can be held (minutes a day). We really enjoyed purchasing food and hand feeding the kangaroos (you go into their penned area). It was an enjoyable visit. Whether it is worth the diversion is up to you. You can drive north to Noosa from Brisbane and maybe spend some time in that area.

Capt. Orca Jan 20th, 2002 10:04 AM

That is the exact itinerary we are planning. We will fly into Cairns though, and will probably get on a Capt. Cook cruise to see more of the reef. We have been debating whether to just go see Koalas in Sydney. I noticed that there is a small shuttle boat to Lone Pine that sounds like fun, but it only stops there for about 2 hours. Was that enough time for you? I appreciate your reply. That is what makes these travel boards so useful.

lcuy Jan 20th, 2002 12:03 PM

We spent 5 days near GBR, then 2 in Surfer's paradise and a week in Sydney. We visited Lone Pine for about one & 1/2 hours when heading to the Brisbane airport to fly to Sydney. The time was just about right, except we couldn't stop for a snack, so I'd say 2 hours would be perfect. We saw the ferry and it looked like a fun way to visit the sanctuary. You do get a good chance to hold the koalas, and can have them take your picture and also take your own shots at the same time They'll even use your camera if you ask. I recommend taking shots with your camera, as their prints are kind of digital/grainy and printed on poor quality paper. also, if their is a big group tour, try to go before or after them. I noticed they rushed everyone through when the lines were long. The experience is well worth it, and our photo made a great christmas card! In addition to holding the Koalas, you can get really close to a tasmanian devil, wombats, and several other animals. They also have a big kangaroo petting yard. As we went to the Rainforest experience park in Port Douglas (nice, especially the birds), and the Sydney aquarium (don't miss it!), we skipped the zoo/nature centers in Sydney. I had also heard the you can't hold Koalas in Sydney, but didn't verify it.

Lynda Jan 20th, 2002 07:32 PM

We spent probably two hours at Lone Pine and that was a good length of time. It took us at least as long trying to find the place (driving). It sounds like your plans are great. Have fun. It is a trip of a lifetime (we are from Canada).

JERRY Jan 26th, 2002 04:14 PM

Just returned from Oz. You can hold the koala's at the Wild Life Park in 'Palm' something. It's about 20 min. North of the Cairnes airport, right on the main road. Nice park and talk shows you can do in about 3 hours, feed 'roos, etc.

Alan Jan 28th, 2002 02:31 AM

Hi, Capt Orca!<BR><BR>You may be able to hold a koala while you're in Sydney. There are two places worth checking out... one is the Koala Park at West Pennant Hills; when I was there last with my children (about three years ago) you could get very close to one which the attendant held on to; I think a pat was allowed, but not a cuddle. Around the same time, you could cuddle a koala for photographs at the Featherdale Wildlife Park at Doonside; I have a photo of my daughter to prove it. This is very easy to get to by public transport from Sydney; just take a train heading west (usually marked "Penrith" or "Emu Plains" ) and get off at Doonside (about forty-five minutes... less if you get an express and change at Blacktown, one station before.) It's about a ten-minute easy walk from the station. You may have to allow the attendant to sell you a photograph of yourself and the koala as the price of a cuddle. By the way, this is a favourite stop for tour buses, so my advice is to do this trip early in the day and beat most of them to it.

Mike Jan 28th, 2002 12:23 PM

I think you can hold a koala at the Tarango Zoo. There is a ferry you can take from Circular Quay and it's only about a 15 minute ride. Take the Sky Rail to the top of the Zoo and ask for the times when you can have your picture taken with a koala. Also, the is a place north of Cairns that will let you hold one while your picture is taken. However, if you are in Brisbane, Lone Pine is the best. There are more koala's than you can count and if you arrive late in the afternoon you'll see them eating. You can also walk with kangaroos and feed them.

julie Jan 31st, 2002 11:03 AM

Just got back from a trip to the Sydney area. You CANNOT hold a koala at Taronga Zoo. The closest you can come is at the aforementioned Featherdale Wildlife Park -- there you can pet the koalas on the back and get a photo taken with them, but you can't hold them. We did get to hold a little wallaby and got photos with it. Also got to feed the roos - it was definitely an unforgettable experience.

matthew May 19th, 2002 11:39 PM

Please admire koalas at distance. They are very fragile animal. You can really hurt them by holding or cuddling like a teddy bear. They also have weak hearts and naturally nervous creatures.<BR>Just imagine bus load of people including children coming over pulling you. <BR><BR>I dislike dolphin encounters. Do you know how inhumane these dolphins are treated? I know, there are places with strict controls and regulations.<BR>I think dolphins would rather swim with other dolphins than you!!!

John May 20th, 2002 01:43 AM

Your best bet is to go to Wild World Tropical Zoo at Palm Cove about 20 minutes north of Cairns.<BR>I presume you will do the reef from Cairns or thereabouts.<BR>I agree you shouldn't be cuddling koalas but if you do I hope they don't pee on you!

jill May 21st, 2002 02:11 PM

I believe the "rules" for holding a koala is that it is allowed in Queensland but not NSW.