Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

LOGISTICS AND DISTANCES THRU QUEEN CHARLOTTE'S TRACK-

Feb 16th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

hi melnq, or any other tracker: i'm looking at the track's map you sent me and i'd like your opinions on

A)isn't it waaaay too far to tramp from either 'no road inn' or 'fourneaux' to 'craglee lodge'or BOMC, avoiding disastrous 'punga cove'?

B)i'm booking in lochmara for the last night at the track, but i what about staying that evening in anakiwa at the tirimoana or queensview at end of the track, instead of returning to sleep in picton the same day?
thanksthanks... lavici
Feb 17th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Sounds like you plan to start from Ship Cove, right?

The No Road Inn is a five hour walk from Ship Cove per their web site.

You'd have to ask them how far it is from their inn to the next stop on the QCT - they're not on my map, but they're somewhere in Endeavour Inlet.

If you're trying to avoid Punga Cove, there are at least two other lodging options nearby - Mahana Homestead and Noeline's Homestay.

http://www.mahanahomestead.com/

www.thevilla.co.nz/homestay/

From Punga Cove (Endeavour Inlet) it's 12 km to Bay of Many Coves PLUS the ~90 minute decent to the resort, OR 23.7 km directly to the Portage Resort.

Here's a list of lodging options along the track:

http://www.qctrack.co.nz/operators/accomsearch.asp

Feb 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

dear mel!! i was hoping for you qct knowledge...i've checked the web site you sent me for the track, and i've looked at the map where all the lodgings show, and, yes...i wrote to the inn to see what they say. 'cause in the map it looks shorter from ship cove to the inn, than from the inn to punga cove( looks to be twice as long)not to mention continuing either to craglee or bomc. did you start from ship cove or from the anikiwa end? janine
i'll check both homestays just in case...
Feb 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM

I've walked from Ship Cove to Furneaux twice, from Furneaux to Punga Cove and from Punga Cove to Craglee.

I walked a small section of the track from Anakiwa years ago, but I don't remember much about it.

According to my map, the walk from Ship Cove to Punga Cove is 27.7 km, approximately 7.25 hours for an average walker, with no side trips. If you want to take side tracks, you'll need more time.

Assuming No Road Inn is right on the track and it's a five hour walk from Ship Cove as their site indicates, that means it's about 2.25 from the No Road Inn to Punga Cove (note: it's a one km walk from the QCT down to Punga Cove Resort).

The walk from Punga Cove to Portage is the longest (and I believe the most difficult) stretch at 23.7 km. That's why many people stop at Craglee Lodge or Bay of Many Coves to break up the walk (although Craglee and BOMO are OFF the track, so more walking is required in the long run).

I'm interested to hear what the owners of No Road Inn say about the distance to Punga from their lodging. Please re-post when you hear back from them.

Feb 18th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

will do... i've written twice and still no answer. either they are very busy or my server is not working very well. i listened to your advice mel and i'm also going to tassie for about 8 days... i keep stretching this trip in all directions. thanks for your patience and generosity
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

hi mel... i received an email from craglee lodge and this is what they suggest which sounds very reasonable and inviting in the distance/time factor & although it could be more expensive, than doing it in 4 days,i believe it's still under the total amount of the guided group trip ($1850 NZ+ NZ$250 for the singles supplement= $2100). i would still have to figure out if i should really stay for 2 nights at craglee( i would really love to) specially considering stopping at de brett's + factor in the water transport to and fro ship cove and anakiwa. i'll sharpen my pencil and let you know. please tell me what you think?

"I would suggest you start your walk from Ships Cove and stay your first night at No Road Inn- a lodge that is similar to ours.
Garry the owner, could give you a water transfer over to Punga Cove and you could then walk from there to Craglee Lodge- approx 3 and a half hours, this would take about 3hours off your second day walk.
Once you get to us-we have availability for around the dates that you are looking at- you could have two days relaxing and letting us take care of you.
The walk from us to Lochmara is rather long but not impossible- one would need to bear in mind though that the daylight hours would be starting to lessen.
You could break your walk for one more night and stay at a place called De Bretts this is in Portage-Torea Bay- about a 5 hour walk from us.
The next day you could then walk to Lochmara- approx 4hours - a very cool place!"
the more i read it the more it sounds just like i want to do...jjj
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Sounds like a good plan. Also sounds like No Road Inn is further from Punga than I guessed.

Tell Steve at Craglee that the weary trespassers from Bay of Many Coves said hello.
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

oh yes mel i will do...sounds like a good plan specially because i can combine and be flexible depending on how's the weather behaving etc.the good thing is that i get to stay at the places i like best and/or

i was also thinking budget wise on a plan B which could be to stay at lochmara lodge which is beautiful and not that expensive for a few nights as a base and just set out for day walks and /or water taxi to different points in the track and walk over to the lodge again, more or less like abel tasman...and then walk the last day to anakiwa.
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Janine -

Here are some photos from our trip to NZ in August to whet your appetite (several from QCT and Abel Tasman).

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/335646/index.html
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

mel they are super incredible, really gorgeous... the colors,the beautiful flowers, funny looking seal... fabulous! now i can see myself jumping off the boat at the ship cove jetty, and you look just like i imagined you would when you said you were from colorado. how lucky for you both to like the same things and enjoy such a nice trip.
i'm already in love with the sounds. abel tasman looks almost exactly like the easternmost part of venezuela's sucre state park... it was like deja vú! i could be standing at the beach in play uva, paria or mochima:
http://hafo.biz/wordpress/wp-content...untauva-01.jpg
please tell me about hanmer springs. i had bookmarked them but i didn't know how to get there without a car easily... are they worth the trip?
i'm starting to think about opening a thread: what to do in tassie and or nz without a car? i'm going to bed. almost 2 am here... thanks for sharing the beautiful pics... jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Hanmer Springs is about a 90 minute drive from Christchurch. It's a tiny town, the main attraction being the thermal pools. It's not a place many first time visitors choose. We've been there three times, but only because our flight usually arrives in Christchurch around 9-10 am and we'd rather hop in the car and drive a couple of hours than stay the first night in Christchurch. Hanmer makes a good stopover after an overnight flight without having to drive too far.

I wouldn't suggest going out of your way to see Hanmer - your time could be better spent elsewhere IMO.

Here's my full trip report if you're interested:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...3&tid=35062577

Feb 20th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks mel...any thermal springs close by to the nelson area that you would know of? i love thermal waters... iceland is like my dream come true. but, over there they are all over the place, walking distance.

i'll copy you the no road in response i got this morning:

"We are pleased you are considering the "No Road Inn" as accommodation on your trek of the Queen Charlotte Track and we are happy to give you our suggestions and answer your questions as best we can.

(A) It is a 5hr maximum walk from Ship Cove to the No Road Inn.

(B) To walk from The No Road Inn to Craglee is about 8 hrs.

(C) The walk is absolutely safe. We have lots of guests walking the track on their own.

(D) Craglee to Lochmara is about 5hrs.( *the innkeepers from craglee said it would be about 8 hours)

We can suggest a couple of itineries which we can organise for you.

(Day 1.) Morning water taxi from Picton to Ship Cove, walk to No Road Inn, Hot tub, (or that bath,) and dinner.(Luggage transferred ahead to the No Road Inn.)

(Day2) Morning water taxi to Punga cove (15 minutes,) and walk back to No Road Inn.(Or walk to punga cove and water taxi back to NRI)

(Day 3) Morning water taxi to Punga Cove and walk to Craglee Lodge (3.5 Hrs) Luggage will be transferred ahead.

(Day 4) Rest day at Craglee.

(Day 5) Walk to Torea Bay (4hrs) Pick up by water taxi at Torea to return to Picton.

Or
(Day 3) Rest day at No Road Inn, perhaps resting in a hammock or maybe some fishing?

(Day 4) Early morning water taxi to Punga Cove, Walk to Torea Bay, 8hrs. Water taxi to Picton."

i think i like the craglee´s itinerary better in the sense of advancing on the track towards lochmara and then anakiwa... walking it all, with the water taxi saving me some hours from endeavour to punga... they say that the most challenging --but beautiful-- part is precisely from punga-portage.
mil gracias... janine

Feb 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

hi mel, i posted here the itinerary the road inn sent me... as per your request... g'night. are you ok. i heard there had been another big tremor in indonesia? jjj
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM

We're fine here - the ground shakes in this country on a pretty regular basis I'm afraid.

Thanks for posting response from No Road Inn.
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

what do you think? i'm feeling the craglee lodge suggestion fits my idea better...i'll let you now what i finally work out. i do want to get from one end to the other by boat, by foot or both... jj
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM

I guess it boils down to whether you want to walk the entire track or not.

The nice thing about Craglee's suggested itinerary is that you could ask them to take you over to Bay of Many Coves and perhaps have a meal there, or walk to the top of the BOMC lookout (great views).
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

yes mel, i would like to walk it because many people say the most beautiful part is from cragele/BMOC to portage, the most difficult, but also the most beautiful 360° views, so i also like their idea a lot...and i can go visit BMOC. the only minus is that the price is quite more than i expected... but their ratings are excellent so i guess some things are worth it...jj