Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

LizF, AndrewDavid, pat_woolford, margo_oz, Mucky, Daneille, alice13, Melodie, Neil_oz, johnj_au, 646wyck, LoveItaly, hobbes, Judy_in_Calgary, SusanInToronto, preenyc, tropo, LN, crazymina, Lyndie, Peteralan, gk11b! Help, please!

Search

LizF, AndrewDavid, pat_woolford, margo_oz, Mucky, Daneille, alice13, Melodie, Neil_oz, johnj_au, 646wyck, LoveItaly, hobbes, Judy_in_Calgary, SusanInToronto, preenyc, tropo, LN, crazymina, Lyndie, Peteralan, gk11b! Help, please!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phew! Did I miss anyone? Anyway, if you've read the threads about "chicest hotel" or "Alan's Tales from the Raj", you'll know what this is about. I have this crazy idea that would be absolutely impossible to pull off anywhere else in the world, but on the Fodor's Aussie forum, it may just work. There's this little desert school near Jaisalmer, India.... 120 kids, two teachers, and a building. That's it. Nothing else. Well, not exactly. They do, now, have a cricket set and a BIG atlas of the world, and a few picture-dictionary-type books. I promised them I'd top up those "donations" as soon as I returned to Sydney. But what I really want is for all of you to send them a small package also. Maybe a few easy-to-read English books; or some pencils or exercise books; or a geometry set; or a booklet about your country; or just some postcards so that they can USE the atlas I bought them to find out where these strange things are coming from. These are great kids -- open, friendly, welcoming, and so anxious to get an education that every single kid oin the village attends this uninviting, bare classroom; but -- by western standards -- they are unbelievably poor. They've never seen TV, don't have a computer, don't know what McDonalds is. No electricity, no running water. Wouldn't it just make their day -- their year -- if, in a couple of weeks, a dozen packages arrived from all over the world -- New York, the Gold Coast, Wales, Canberra, Santa Fe, Calgary, Cairns, Toronto.... places they've never even heard of! I've got my second packet ready to send... twenty-five easy-to-read books (including some Dr Seuss!) and a few postcards. I'd be thrilled if all of you would join me, even if it's only to send a half-dozen postcards from your home town.

Here's the address to send your package to:

Barna School,
c/- Mr Shaitan Singh,
Shahi Palace Hotel,
Shiv Rd,
345 001 Jaisalmer,
Rajasthan, INDIA.

I bet that together we can turn this little school into the most unique school in the entire Indian desert! Don't send BIG packages -- when a dozen people are doing it, small ones will do very nicely... and. of course, money is not a good idea for the usual reasons (but nobody, surely, is going to pilfer a geometry set!)

Thanks for reading! And thanks for joining in! Hope it's as much fun for you as it is for me!

Alan

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:41 AM

No problems, Alan - in the post tomorrow and congrats on thinking of these kids.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:07 AM

Consider it done, Alan.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:37 AM

I'm in
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:47 AM

This is a really great idea! I'll be sending out a package from Philadelphia!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:59 AM

Alan,
I needed this today.
Done.
-Bill
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 08:18 AM

No problem
It's my first job tomorrow.

Muck
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 08:35 AM
LN

We'll be sending a package from Washington DC and thanks for asking us Alan!!

Ellen
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Alan: Clicked on this forum by fluke. Will be delighted to send some things from Cape Cod. Thank you for the opportunity!!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:35 PM

What a lovely idea! I will try to do something in the next few days.

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Alan what a gem you are. You give people such helpful travel advice and now this gesture! We travel to other countries and take pleasure in the experience but maybe don't always give much back.I have been racking my brains trying to work out what my family needs for Christmas and how much better to give to those who really need and can benefit from what we give.Thanks for the idea and I am definitely in!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Alan, this makes a great change from debates about 5-star hotels - as soon as I can locate a certain long-neglected tea-chest in our overcrowded shed, consider it done.
- Neil in Canberra
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:55 PM

Alan, do you think used books in good condition would be all right? We're on a really tight budget and will have to take an unplanned trip out of state in the next few days, but I can go through my kids' bookshelves.

Lee Ann
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:03 PM

What a wonderful idea! We have assisted other schools in our travels,such as Thailand. We'll try to get something to them.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Hi Alan, I clicked on your message because it looked interesting. 'Glad I did. I will send some things from Perth

Thanks for your gift of this opportunity to do something for people who need and will appreciate it.

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:28 PM

Alan,

how could we refuse during this "Season of Giving"! Your timing is good, as I was going to the UPS store to send my best friend in Philly her Xmas present, my new friend in NZ a thank you present for helping me out while there, so I'll just add them to the list!

On a selfish note, could PB&J send me a cheesesteak and maybe a lobster from Gomiki? I've been a good girl this year - honest!

Seriously, I thought of something to send that wouldn't cost anything -- for people with kids who go to McDonald's, or any restaurant that sort of "caters" to kids -- you know those placemat-type of games (or sometimes little booklets -Denny's has those)they have? Things for coloring and connecting dots, that sort of thing...

I bet if you were in there and asked for a couple extra they'd be glad to give them to you.

In any case I'll scour the office (there's always a bunch of crap...er, stuff that they give out at travel agent seminars - pens, etc. I know I have some with a plane on the top or a pineapple; that could be fun) and the house for some books, but something will be on the way from California!

I think we should continue this thread and compare notes on what we sent! And of course, I know Alan will post something when the kids receive their packages.

Regards,

Melodie
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Me again! I have just copied and pasted your message to forward to everyone in my address book. I'm sure many people would like to do something for these kids.

Perhaps others reading this could do the same and share with their contacts.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:18 PM

To wlzmalilida: the gomiki Santa would send you Wellfleet oysters to go with that lobster!! LOL
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Alan,
I will also be sending something once my semester exams are over. I've emailed my mother and she will be sending a postcard (or more) from Florida. She was a 2nd grade teacher and thinks it's a great idea. Thanks for the contact information.
Liz
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:47 PM

Alan,

In the mail w/ a reference to Uncle Alan. Luckily I could still get in the PO door . I wonder if they do this at the chicest hotels.

AndrewDavid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -