Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Lizard Island: Snorkeling? Rooms? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/lizard-island-snorkeling-rooms-523937/)

Cubs Apr 25th, 2005 05:19 AM

Lizard Island: Snorkeling? Rooms?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Lizard Island in late Nov 05.

1) How is the snorkeling directly off of the beaches? We have snorkeled at Turtle Island, Fiji and a number of Carribean resorts (Peter Island, Petit St Vincent, Caneel Bay). We do not like organized snorkel trips by boat and prefer to just hop in from the beach.

2) We are planning on staying in a Anchor Bay Suite...how are the rooms? Wanted to stay at the Pavillion but seemed a bit pricey.

Jane_in_Sydney Apr 25th, 2005 05:55 PM

1. if you pick the right spot, absolutely great. There's an area called the clam garden (or something like that) which is actually the next bay round from the resort, but you can walk there, borrow a boat or they will take you there in a boat. It has the lot - guant clams, resting turtles, starfish, you name it. There are also lots of private beaches accesible by boat (which you can borrow and drive yourself) - the staff will tell you which ones to go to for best snorkelling.

2. I can't remember which rooms are which but we stayed in a mid price one along the beach and it was wonderful (actually, everything about Lizard is wonderful ;) ) The rooms in a cluster behind the boat shed (which I think are the cheapest ones) would not be as private or have as nice views as the mid or high price ones, but realistically it's an extremely classy resort and I would think all their rooms are fine.

I wish I was going!

Cubs Apr 25th, 2005 07:26 PM

Thanks Jane. The clam garden snorkeling sounds amazing. However, is there good snorkeling off of other beaches?

Jane_in_Sydney Apr 26th, 2005 12:25 AM

The short answer is yes - however there are literally hundreds of beaches on Lizard and the surrounding little islands and some are better than others, which is why I suggest asking the expert staff at the boat shed.

Even straight off the resort is quite interesting but not as great as some of the other places. I know you said you don't like boat trips but I went on one to the Cod Hole and it was really amazing (and I've spent quite some time onm the GBR so I'm not easily impressed by fish!!)

dkw Apr 26th, 2005 06:10 AM

My Husband and I took a daytour with Daintree Air to Lizard Island last September. We snorkeled off the beach in 2 different areas. One on a beach near the blue lagoon and the other from Watson's Bay (I think that's what it's called) where the giant clams are. There was no need for a boat as the snorkeling off the beach was spectacular. Unlike anything we had seen before!! It was the highlight of our trip!

Next trip we will stay on Lizard so we can snorkel alot more!!

NancyNC Jul 7th, 2005 12:17 PM

We went to Lizard Island for 6 days back in Nov 2003 for our 10th anniversary trip and it was fabulous! I think Anchor Bay is where the giant clams are and it was good snorkeling. I preferred Mermaid Cove - much less crowded as they only will send 2 of their skiffs there a day. That location had picnic tables, and they provided umbrellas/chairs. That plus the fabulous box lunch we took each time made it perfect! We also snorkeled at another location - Sunset Beach I think? - and it was equally enjoyable. We were there in Nov and found that a diveskin made the snorkeling more enjoyable. We are used to the waters of the Caribbean and the water was much cooler here. Plus the diveskin provided added sun protection - the sun is brutal. My husband rarely burns and he was staying out of the sun whenever possible to avoid burning.

We stayed in an Anchor Bay Suite and it was wonderful. Very large rooms, and with the private lanai with queensized daybed - what a fantastic way to unwind in the afternoon after having enough sun! The fresh cookies and delivery of ice each day was a nice touch as well. The suites have private entrances - kind of a tiny courtyard - so it seemed very quiet. We were about midway down the beach, which meant only a 2 minute walk to the main lodge.

The whole experience was one of feeling pampered and served. The staff was fabulous and the setting exquisite. The meals were fantastic and included an extensive seafood buffet/bbq one night. I can't say enough good things about the place and we are planning to go back, maybe for the next major anniversary!

Cubs Jul 24th, 2005 06:45 PM

Did you bring diveskins or did they provide them? If we don't have them do you recomend buying them for a Nov trip?

shuttergal Jul 26th, 2005 12:49 PM

Dear Cubs,
I am also travelling to Lizard Island in late November. I have been told that the rooms, service etc. are all exceptional.
I would like your opinion on Fiji. I have visited most of the Caribbean, as well as a number of other islands including Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora and Greece. I have been told that Fiji will be a disappointment after seeing so many other islands. What is your (or anyone's) opinion. I am going to travel to Sydney and the GBR with an extension that has yet to be determined. Any suggestions?
Thanks.