Let's talk about the Brisbane airport - Ann

Jul 23rd, 2013, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Let's talk about the Brisbane airport - Ann

Ann has some questions about the Brisbane airport, and I thought it might be best to start a separate thread so that those who are in the know will see it and perhaps help out.

The first question is that if you were arriving at Brisbane from Hong Kong at 8 am, would a connection to an 11 am flight to Cairns work?

I suggested that if the flight to Cairns was from the International terminal, it was doable. But, I am worried that if it is from the domestic terminal it may be more of a challenge. I don't remember how far apart the terminals are and how you move from one to another.

On the Brisbane airport site I found this informatin:

A. If you are in the International Terminal and you will be flying with Qantas or Virgin Australia on a domestic leg, there is a domestic check-in desk located in the Arrivals Hall on Level 2 after Customs processing.

I also finally found this information, so maybe someone can say if it is correct?

There is an inter-terminal bus connecting the two terminals, and the nearby, Skygate Shopping Precinct, DFO and Novotel Hotel. Services run between 5:00 am and 11:00 pm for Terminal Transfers, and 6:00 am to 6:00 pm for the DFO Shopping Precinct.[47]
Qantas also runs a free bus (TBus) between terminals for Qantas Passengers who have a Qantas Boarding Pass or Qantas E-Ticket. The Bus runs every 10 minutes during peak times and every 20 minutes all other times. For all other passengers the Bus Costs $5
Jul 23rd, 2013, 09:58 PM
tt7

What airline is "Ann" arriving on?

On what airline is Ann flying to Cairns?

What is the MCT I-D at Brisbane?

Yes, the information on the Brisbane airport site is correct.

To answer my own question, the minimum connect time at BNE for QF flights, international-to-domestic is usually 90 minutes. Allowing for the vagaries of late arrival, lines at immigration, delayed bags etc., 3 hours should be fine.
Jul 24th, 2013, 07:40 AM

toucan - thanks for starting this thread. I've started one myself, though you've got one more reply than i did! [great minds and all that]

Thanks too for all that gret info about the airport you've found. I looked but found nothing like that.

tt7 - the eponymous traveller - for I am she - is travelling on cathay Pacific from HK. that flight arrives at brisbane at 8.10 am.

we haven't booked the onward flight to Cairns yet - the choices are the 11.10 Virgin, or the 13.20 Jetstar. Obviously we'd prefer to get the earlier one. There's not much difference in price.
Jul 24th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Ann, it wasn't easy! Lots of digging to get to the info, some from the airport site, the other from wikipedia, so that is great that tt7 was able to confirm it is correct.

And, it sounds like from what tt7 says that 3 hours should be fine.

Isn't Jetstar Qantas' budget arm? Personally, I hate them. They will nickel and dime (or pence and ?) you for everything, and you will find yourself paying for luggage and overweight luggage charges (it won't matter that you flew internationally to ge there). But that's just me, others like it.
Jul 24th, 2013, 11:08 AM

thanks for the "heads up" about Jetstar, toucan. Virgin has the earlier flights and i couldn't see much difference between them and jetstarso far as price is concerned, but I'll certainly check the luggage restrictions before we book.

and thank you so much for doing my research for me.

looks like I'll be looking for the inter-terminal bus [hopefully not having enough time to do any shopping] and paying $5 each for the privilege.
Jul 24th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Virgin is also budget airline, very similar to Jetstar as far as I know.
Jul 24th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

No worries.

Sharon, I know Virgin is also budget, but as far as I know they don't take it to the extremes that JetStar does. But I could be wrong, it's been known to happen!
Jul 25th, 2013, 12:31 AM

I have also posted this on Ann's other post.

Hi annhig,
The International and domestic terminal are less than 2km's apart. The Virgin flight will also leave from the domestic terminal. It will take you less than 10 minutes to get from 1 airport to the other. You will have to clear immigration, customs and collect your baggage.

There is a train that runs between the 2 terminals, at 15 minute intervals. The train will take about 3 minutes. Cost is $5 per person 1 way. A taxi would be slightly more expensive. There is also a bus transfer, link below - http://www.bne.com.au/sites/all/file...table%20v4.pdf

Even if the flight was delayed by 30 mins, and allowing 1 hour to get through customs, you will still have plenty of time to get to the domestic terminal.

Check in on line the day before for your flight Brisbane to Cairns to save time at the airport.
Jul 25th, 2013, 02:32 AM
tt7

Ann - see my comments in the other thread.

The bus is free if you have a QF boarding pass for a connecting flight to CNS, otherwise $5. Bus stop is right outside the terminal. The bus stops a couple of times at the domestic terminal, once for Qantas and then again for Virgin/Jetstar (even though they're not very far apart).

As said in the other thread, if it was me, I'd be flying QF (or, in a pinch, VA) and wouldn't touch Deathstar. If flying QF, you can check in, drop the luggage, get a boarding pass in the international terminal. You can probably also do that for Virgin -- but I'm pretty sure you can't for JetStar - have to schlep your luggage yourself over to the domestic terminal and check in there.

As for Virgin being a 'budget' airline, it is less so than it used to be and now competes head-to-head with Qantas on domestic routes.
Jul 26th, 2013, 01:30 AM

tt7 that is good to know that Virgin is not as budget as it used to be. I know Air New Zealand now partners with them in Australia to do the domestic flights.
Jul 28th, 2013, 02:32 AM

well, when I tried to book, it turned out that virgin is still on the "bucket" side.

they have several tiers of tickets - the bottom one, "saver light", includes no luggage at all, and you have to pay $40 per bag when you check in. the next one up, "saver", includes one checked bag of 23kgs, and only costs $20 extra, and allows some changes up to 24 hours before travel. but that ticket is not available, so far as I could tell, via skyscanner etc.

so I had to book via the virgin website, which wouldn't take my c/card, [in fact I tried 3] so I ended up doing it on the 'phone down a line that sounded as if I was talking to someone on the moon!

aarrhg! still, now, tis done. I have e-tickets printed and we fly to Cairns straight from BNE with 3 hours between flights, and fly back 6 days later. We have an apartment booked in Port Douglas and I've found a dive company which looks as if it will suit DH. no reply from the wild-ilfe folks yet, but there's plenty of time for that.

anyone care to recommend a car hire company? we don't want fancy, but we would like air con [probably that's a silly thing to say as I suspect they all have that in Queensland] and a decent radio so we can listen to the cricket! [I've got tickets for Days 2 & 3, BTW, that was the easy bit!]
Jul 28th, 2013, 09:16 AM
tt7

For car hire, any of the usual suspects -- Hertz, Avis, Budget, Thrifty, Europcar etc. This site can give you some comparisons - www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au

I would check the individual websites as well, as well as some of the airline sites. If you have a rental company affiliation number, check both with and without that number (Hertz, for example, charges more than 3 times as much for a reservation at Heathrow made with my #1 Club number compared with a reservation without it.)

There's probably a variety of rent-a-wreck companies around but, like everything else in life, you get what you pay for - caveat emptor.
Jul 28th, 2013, 12:02 PM

thanks, tt7.

most of the cars take a lot of people, and not much luggage; we're the other way round!

but it looks as if we can do it for less than $300, which is good.

now onto NZ!
Jul 28th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Ann,I think we just used Hertz. Here my AAA (car club, and I don't remember the equivalent in Australia but I think they have reciprocal agreement) gets me 15% off with them. Then there is the AARP (retired people) discount and so on. I have never figured out a very good and easy way to find the best car rental except to just keep plugging in the different options, as tt7 says.

I've got a national honor society (Phi Kappa Phi) discount that seems to give me the best auto rental discounts.

None of which probably helps you, except to say if you have similar types of memberships, and the time and inclination, one of them might help out.
Jul 29th, 2013, 05:23 AM

None of which probably helps you, except to say if you have similar types of memberships, and the time and inclination, one of them might help out.>>

absolutely none, so far as I know, but you've given me an idea.

BTW I've been in contact with Alan, who's been back in contact with me, so thanks!
Jul 29th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Fabulous news. Hope something works out.