3 - 4 days on North Island - need suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We may spend 4 nights there this November, flying into and out of Auckland. And yes, I know we should spend more time, but right now we don't have it so a few days will have to do.

The first night we'll have to overnight near the airport because we get in late, and we can spend most of our last day sightseeing in time for a 7 pm flight home. So, that leaves us with 3 nights to spend. I MIGHT be able to extend this to 5 nights and 4 days.

I have just started reading about the area, and so far Rotorua and/or Coromandel looks interesting, and perhaps seeing Hobbiton. Our interests are hiking and nature and a good pub for dinner and beer at the end of a sweaty day.

Please help me with a sketch for 2 nights somewhere and possibly 1 night somewhere else, throw some hotel and driving distance suggestions at me. I don't want three one nighters, but wouldn't mind a two and a one in addition to the night at the airport.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 04:32 PM

There is lots to do around Rotorua. Great walks, natural springs, waterfalls, bubbling mud and 100s of glow worms (great little short walk). There are some good markets and Thursday night has a night market - mainly international food. Be sure to leave room for cakes from Mistress of the Cakes - she also has a shop and webpage. Nearly as good as my wife's.

We have just returned from a week in Rotorua and a week in Paihia.

Coromandel is lovely, but I would stick to around Rotorua go via Tauranga(sp?) and back via Hamilton or vice versa.

Here is my trip report.
http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...r-thoughts.cfm
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 11:39 PM

I love Rotorua. Not the town itself, but the natural beauty in that area. Waimangu Volcanic Park is stunning and the beauty is unearthly.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 03:30 PM

Another vote for Rotorua. We spent two nights there back in 2010. We had 4 days on the North Island too. We rented a car and it worked out perfectly. The museum in the Government Gardens at Rotorua was very interesting. We visited Wai O Tapu, which was very pretty. Lots of other things we wanted to do in the area that we didn't have time for.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Ooo, I forgot to add, husband would love to go trout fishing! Is November the season? We'd have to hire a guide & equipment.

I have read about Rotorua's unique smell...shall we stay in town or somewhere else nearby?
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Another vote for Rotorua, we noticed the smell the first few hours and then became accustom to it. We stayed at the Copethorne. It was convenient to restaurants snd msrkets
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 03:13 AM

Both places are lovely but you'll squish a lot more 'kiwiana' into a trip to Rotorua. So much to do there that is uniquely NZ. Don't worry about the smell, you won't notice it after a few hours.
If you get the extra day then I'm sure the fisherman would enjoy an overnight stay in Taupo as well.
If you want to visit the beach then a day trip from Rotorua to Mount Maunganui is also a possibility.
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 09:09 AM

I liked the Sheep Show in Rotorua. It was cheesy & touristy & fun. I also recommend a hangi--which is a Maori version of a luau. Very entertaining and good food. And ... check out the famous Polynesian Spa.

I wouldn't worry about the odor. Didn't bother me at all.
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, this is all very encouraging.

Speaking of cheesy, what about Hobbiton? Is it fun or a rip-off? It looks to be not too far a drive...
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
bmk - and our DD loved Hobbiton!
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 09:58 PM

Old Apr 27th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

With 3 full sightseeing days and one partial, tell me if this is too much:

Day 1 leave Auckland early and drive to Tongariro park and hike somewhere, I wish we had time to do the crossing! Sleep in Turangi or Taupo or?

Day 2 head to Rotorua, spend 2 nights there. Hike and sightsee as much as possible.

Day 4 we have to be at the Auckland airport for a 7pm flight home, so would it be a good day to go from Rotorua and see Hobbiton?

Advice on the most scenic routes also please! I have no grip yet on how far anything is. We are from southern California, so I know well how long it can take to get somewhere over or around a mountain.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 06:23 PM

We loved Hobbiton! We drove there and it was an easy drive and easy to find. We went there on the way back to Auckland. You should have plenty of time to catch your plane.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 02:59 AM

Tongariro is about four hours from Auckland and twoish from Rotorua. Do you have a particular reason to go there?

Download the free walk guide from my trip report. There are heaps of walks in near Rotorua to keept you busy. The freshwater springs are lovely as is the glow worm walk.

Either way to or from Auckland is relatively scenic. both are mainly through farm land so not terribly exciting.

There is a long lake near Tirau that would be worth a stop and it has boat cruise. We did not have the time butit looked well worth exploring.
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Trout fishing.
http://www.nzfishing.com/AboutFishin...ishingYear.htm