Search

Length of travel time

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Length of travel time

I'm flying from LAX to Kuala Lumpur to Sydney, leaving LAX at 1:40 a.m. and arriving in KL at 12:15 p.m. the next day. After an 8 hour layover, I'll arrive in Sydney at 6:35 a.m. the next morning. Do you have suggestions about how to handle the long flight, the long layover, and what my brain will do once I'm in Sydney?
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:24 AM

While on the plane , be sure to walk around as much as you can, do not drink alcohal but do drink as much water as possible. When you finally arrive, try to stay up until your normal time to go to sleep and you should be fine the next morning ready to "hit" the day. Good luck!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Go for a boat ride out to Bondi Beach and make yourself stay up until at least 8:00 p.m. Avoid going to the Sydney Opera house the first night or you may find it an expensive snooze.

Change your watch immediately when you are on the plane and don't think about what time it is back home. Enjoy a little Australian wine with dinner and watch a few movies.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM

I am going to quote myself, from a reply I left on another message board:

Go to your hotel. Check your bags there and go somewhere outside. One of the best pieces of advice I received was through a New York Times travel article. The author recommended going to Circular Quay and taking a ferry ride to Manley. The combination of sunlight, motion, fresh air and physical activity is the antidote! Don't allow yourself to become sedentary or the fatigue will set in. Have dinner at dinner time and then, if you must, go to bed a little early or at normal bedtime. We traveled about 15,000 miles from Orlando, Florida to Sydney and this strategy worked very well for us, despite my initial scepticism.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Most airports in Asia have hotels in which you can book blocks of 6 or 8 hours where you can sleep, have a shower and relax. Check that KL has one, it won't be too expensive but its worth every penny for that time lying down.