Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Le Taha'a Resort in French Polynesia (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/le-tahaa-resort-in-french-polynesia-173206/)

DJE Jan 2nd, 2006 06:03 PM

Le Taha'a Resort in French Polynesia

Wondering if anyone has been to this resort in F. P. and can comment on the accommodations, food, activities etc. I have been to a number of other resorts in the society islands but have not visited this particular island area. Thinking of this locale for a future trip. Thanks.

styleoracle Jan 3rd, 2006 03:15 PM

I am interested as well, thanks for any replies.

LordBalfor Jan 3rd, 2006 04:18 PM

Have not been (was in FP in 2000, but not since) but by most accounts Le Taha'a is the creme de la creme of French Polynesia's resorts. Don't think I've ever seen a bad thing about other than the fact that the place is very pricey and the island is very quiet - so if you are on any kind of budget or are looking for a lot of excitement this is not the place for you. Otherwise, if you want beauty, privacy and romance - go for it.

Ken

LordBalfor Jan 3rd, 2006 04:19 PM

PS - If in doubt, look at the reviews on places like tripadvisor.com or epinions.com

Ken

DJE Jan 3rd, 2006 05:51 PM

Thanks LordBalfor and I will check out those sites for possible reviews.

JS1 Feb 21st, 2006 06:45 PM

We stayed at Tahaa last June and it was an exceptional hotel with amazing overwater bungalows, wonderful staff etc. However, I wouldn't rave about it - the snorkeling wasn't anything like swimming off the OWBs at the Bora Bora Lagoon Resort and Spa so that was a bit of a let down. However, in its favour it did feel more secluded. Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful resort but I remember Bora Bora Lagoon more fondly....... each to their own. If you do want to go and want tips on which are good OWBs let me know.

SB_Travlr Feb 23rd, 2006 11:43 AM

DH and I were at Le Taha'a for 3 days in November 2004, had a great time. We added the visit before a Windstar cruise around Polynesia (Windstar deal, which helped the price). Should add, we are way past honeymoon age!

We flew from Papeete to Raiatea, and were met at the little airport by a man from the hotel -- it was just DH and me on the launch over to the island, about a 45 minute ride (very camera-worthy trip!) On the dock at Taha'a we were welcomed by the hospitality folks: music and fruity island drinks, and welcome flower crowns. The hostess took us on a short walk around the resort (the grounds are immaculate, and beautifully landscaped), then showed us to our OWB.

I've stayed in a lot of places but I have to say this OWB was one of the nicest hotel rooms ever, it made my jaw drop. Lots of windows and sliders overlooking the lagoon, comfortably furnished, plenty of space, terrific bathroom suite (where you could sit in the tub and look down through the glass ledge to the water!) Oh, and a big private deck with a small eating area and the most comfortable lounges ever. I could really just have stayed there on the deck the whole time!

The resort has a pool bar and cafe, plus 2 restaurants (we did not eat at the high-end one) -- food was good, but pricey as it is everywhere in FP. Only "off-island" option is to take a boat across to the main island for dinner chez Louise. She meets you on the dock, drives you to her establishment, and serves you the menu of the day -- no choice. Food was mostly seafood, fresh and good, but if you don't like poisson cru it would be an issue! Plus her many cats are free to wander about the place, marking it here and there as cats will, if you know what I mean. ;-) But we had a fun evening, sharing the place with a few others from Taha'a and some Californians on a sailing trip.

Most of the Taha'a guests are probably honeymooners, and it is certainly a place to go and relax, be quiet. We spent some time at the pool, but tried to stay in the shade because it was really hot. Favorite memory from that part was one afternoon where an island couple came to show us how to make poisson cru (which we all sampled) then he played his guitar and she danced. It was natural and real and lovely.

We were there just to relax, so did not seek out many activities -- snorkeled, swam, lay in the sun, read and napped, watched the sunset. Just what we wanted to do.

It rained very hard on the day we left, and I did wonder what you would do there in a really rainy spell (which FP can be during our winter, as we discovered.) If you want to take a peek, go to Tahiti Explorer <http://www.tahitiexplorer.com/frames...index.html> and scroll down the home page to "Resort webcams" -- last one of the cams shows the pool area at Taha'a.

It's a place I'll always remember, even though I may never get back there. Can't beat those photos! :-)