kings canyon--how to get to Stuart Highway

Feb 19th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

kings canyon--how to get to Stuart Highway

It looks as though there is a road from Kings Canyon to Stuart Highway that goes past the Henbury Meteorites.

We plan to drive from Ayers Rock to Kings Canyon and hike around there for a few hours. We're looking for a way to get back to the Stuart Highway without retracing our steps so much. Does anyone know what that road is like? (looks like it goes directly east from Wallara Ranch)?
Feb 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM

That's the Ernest Giles road. Here's a link to an earlier thread reporting some experience.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...3&tid=34510391

Google finds these pictures:
http://images.google.com/images?q=ernest%20giles%20road

I had a 2WD when I was there, so had to backrack from Kings Canyon all the way to the Lasseter Highway. If I were to do it again, I'd join a 4WD tour that takes the Mereenie Loop.
Feb 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM

G'day,
it's a great and scenic drive along the Ernest Giles Road if you are in a 4WD.
You can often see large mobs of wild Camel and if lucky an odd Dingo.

It can be done in a 2WD vehicle if it hasn't been raining recently, but only if you are prepared to drive very slowly.
At times, after heavy rain it can also become impossible in a 4WD vehicle.

After rain the Palmer River crossing, halfway along the road can be under very deep water.
Along the track there can be many places where the track is under water for 100's of feet and the track turns to mud.

I remember one trip when I had to "bush bash" a number of times to bypass such "bog holes".
That's not kind on the car.

In a 2WD I wouldn't do it and even if in a 4WD I wouldn't do it after heavy rain und unless I had plenty of time to be able to wait for the water to dry up in case I did get stuck.

No matter when und in which car, it won't save you any time!

Take care out there,
Mike

Feb 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks. The wild camels are almost selling me on doing the Ernest Giles Rd. I'm going to think about it. It would nice to not have to retrace our steps!

Search this Thread