Great Barrier reef in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I just got certified as open water divers and would like to spend my 30th bday diving the great barrier reef, my question is, how is the weather and visibility in August? I hear great things about heron island but i am terrified of birds, any other options where its comparable to heron island. Would July be better or the same?
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:12 PM

Where are you coming from and is your heart set on GBR? There are other much better dive destinations that I would recommend depending on your time , budget and geography.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Definitely have my heart set on Australia even before I got certified, August just seemed convenient due to my bday and the heat here in NY is unberiable. Ive also been vacationing every august for the past 3 yrs so also about tradition. Would Sept be better?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:20 PM

It wasn't the time of year that was the issue, but the abundance of fish life. You will love it anyway, because any day diving is a great thing. But GBR is not as pristine as it once was, so if you can get out further than the day boats it would give you more fishlife and the reef wouldn't be so beat up.
Enjoy!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:03 PM

Have you thoought of doing a liveaboard trip? I believe most go out for 3 days/2 nights and would visit locations that the day trips don't go to.

Can't help with weather - only been in July and Nov - though I was surprised how windy it was in July - not good for snorkelling!! But I guess surface wind doesn't impact much on underwater visibility.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Just a thought about the bird situation, I've been several times to Heron Island, once in August and that's the time when there are the least numbers of birds. The migratory nesting birds--noddies and shearwaters--aren't on the island until later in the year. Also there are less seagulls because it's outside turtle hatching season. There would be just rail birds (small flightless birds, not Hitchcockesque at all) and herons.

Weather was great in August, from memory roughly 24-6 degrees C.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Weather was perfect in August. The day we spent diving was rough for snorkelers but wonderful for Scuba divers. Have fun, it's beautiful. The coral and fish were unlike any I had seen before. We left out of Port Douglas which was closer to the reef I believe vs Cairns.