Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Kangaroo island (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/kangaroo-island-1027865/)

mrfixit Oct 15th, 2014 10:02 AM

Kangaroo island

What is the best way to experience kangaroo island?

peterSale Oct 15th, 2014 05:04 PM

Strange Question. Travel is very personal. What is best for one will not be for another.

We have a Campervan and stay in remote bush. We think this is the best.

Others will say staying in Motels and doing commercial tours. Others will say why would you want to go in the first place.

Which ever way you go. There is much more to see than a day or two like some people are doing. We spent 10 days and did not see/do everything we wanted. That is why we are going back in January.

Patty Oct 15th, 2014 05:34 PM

How much time do you have?

mrfixit Oct 19th, 2014 12:03 PM

Thaks Patty. 3 days

Patty Oct 20th, 2014 10:50 AM

We flew from Adelaide to Kingscote, rented a car and did mostly our own touring. We split our stay into 2 nights at Hanson Bay and one in Penneshaw. There were wallabies and roos around the cabins at Hanson Bay and we also did their nocturnal tour. In Penneshaw we did a nocturnal penguin tour. In between we visited Flinders Chase, Murray Lagoon, Little Sahara and Seal Bay. Watch out for wildlife on the roads and be aware that the local car hire companies have a high excess/deductible for such accidents and anything occurring between dusk and dawn. There is also a ferry to KI but the mainland car hire companies have numerous restrictions as far as taking vehicles to KI.

dutyfree Mar 12th, 2015 08:51 PM

Any recommendations as to where to stay at Kangaroo Island if you have 5 days and want to split it up on there? Thanks!

dutyfree Mar 12th, 2015 08:51 PM

Any recommendations as to where to stay at Kangaroo Island if you have 5 days and want to split it up on there? Thanks!

Patty Mar 13th, 2015 02:25 PM

I would definitely base yourself on the western end for part of your stay. We only had 3 nights so didn't really research other locations. We really enjoyed staying at the cabins at Hanson Bay though they're rustic and self catering. There's a beach and trails to walk and wildlife. It also gave us easy access to their nocturnal tour and koala walk. Flinders Chase is close by as well.

We spent one night in Penneshaw primarily for penguin viewing though I've recently read that the penguin population on KI has been pretty decimated. Kingscote is the largest town, the airport is nearby and you can pick up groceries there on arrival if you self cater. I don't think you necessarily have to stay in any of the towns.

dutyfree Mar 14th, 2015 07:47 PM

How was flying Rex? I was going to do the ferry but decided that even with the extra cost it sure saves alot of time. I cannot find anything on their website about checked luggage-did you bring any?

Patty Mar 15th, 2015 09:19 AM

Rex was fine and we did check luggage.

dutyfree Mar 15th, 2015 06:56 PM

I just saw that you can only have 15 kg and can only be 60 cm's which is hard if you are used to transoceanic flights of 23 kgs.Is it worth the extra money for overages to fly there? Thanks-

Patty Mar 16th, 2015 10:10 AM

Do you think you'll have more than that? We travel fairly light so weight/size restrictions aren't much of an issue for us. I checked my rollaboard and I think my husband checked a duffle. I don't recall if they weighed/measured anything.

dutyfree Mar 25th, 2015 05:34 PM

My daughter is coming in from work in Antarctica and most of the transoceanic airlines allow 23 kgs so I will probably be overweight for REX too.

Melnq8 Mar 26th, 2015 02:13 AM

Less is more...

Patty Mar 26th, 2015 07:55 AM

Can you store your excess luggage at the airport or hotel or somewhere else? You shouldn't need too much for 4 days on KI.