Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Kakadu yellow river cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/kakadu-yellow-river-cruise-1005021/)

theotherside Feb 5th, 2014 03:04 PM

Kakadu yellow river cruise

I will be booking a yellow river cruise in Cooinda for a trip in July. At this stage I am not sure whether it will be the sunrise cruise as I may be staying in Jabiru. From what I have read the sunrise cruise is the best as it is when the bird life awakens and is most active?
Has anyone taken a yellow river cruise during the day? I'd be interested to know what it was like in respect to viewing the wildlife, in particular the birds of the area.

Thanks in advance

marg Feb 5th, 2014 06:38 PM

The sunset cruise can also be spectacular. We've also done a cruise during the day, and regardless of the time of day, you should see lots of birds and crocodiles.

longhorn55 Feb 5th, 2014 08:15 PM

We did a sunset cruise and it was OK--saw a lot of birds but not many crocs. I'll be honest that I didn't really enjoy the cruise because the boat was SO jam-packed full of people. Also, if you had a seat on the aisle (as opposed to a seat next to the water), you missed out on seeing the crocodiles or your view of them was not very good. We also went in July, which is prime tourist season in the Top End, so expect to encounter a lot of other tourists.

theotherside Feb 6th, 2014 01:16 AM

Thanks for the responses,

Can I ask if there is parking available where the boat leaves?

longhorn55, with regards to your July trip, was it during any of the Australian school holiday periods? I know it will be busy irrespective at that time of year , but I have purposely avoided the school holidays with the view it may take the edge off tourist numbers.

Thanks again

longhorn55 Feb 6th, 2014 11:20 AM

The Yellow River cruise take off from near the Gagudju Cooinda Lodge which is where we parked.

We've been to the Top End twice, once during our kids' Australian school holiday (they were in Australian schools then) and once in August after the school holidays. And you are correct in your statement that it will be busy no matter when you are there during the winter months(June, July, August).

You may be aware that each state and territory has its own school holiday schedule. For 2014, the mid-year school holidays in Australia will range from June 20th to July 21st. So, hopefully for you, it will be a little less crowded in Kakadu at the end of July.

theotherside Feb 7th, 2014 05:15 PM

Thanks again longhorn55!

I've decided to stay in Jabiru where my style of accommodation is cheaper, hence my question about the parking.
Yes did a search on School Holidays and purposely chose from the 21st July onwards, and as mentioned , hopefully things will be a touch quieter around the traps!

Cheers

dottyp Feb 8th, 2014 09:59 PM

Hi, theotherside

We stayed in Jabiru and drove down to Cooinda in time for the sunrise tour. I can't remember exactly how long it took but I think over an hour to drive there. The sunrise cruise was awesome, and if we ever make it back to Kakadu we would do the same cruise again, and then a sunset cruise.

theotherside Feb 9th, 2014 01:36 AM

Thanks dottyp,

My only concern would be driving before sunrise ,which is I believe not permitted when using a rental vehicle. I can take the risk I suppose but assume there is a slight possibility of hitting an animal at this time. I assume it was dark when you drove from Jabiru?

dottyp Feb 9th, 2014 08:20 PM

It was dark, and I was in fear and trembling something might happen - but it didn't thankfully. However, we did drive slower than the limit.