Search

Just Back From Palm Cove

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Back From Palm Cove

We just completed our 2 week stay in PC....what a marvelous holiday. The county is beautiful and the people are not only hospitible, but friendly and outgoing. We didn't go the traditional route of staying at a resort or hotel, but opted to rent a house/villa, namely Villa Blue. It was a lovely 3 bedroom home with its own salt water pool, master bedroom spa. The come came complete with all the amenities and luxury of an executive home. In out two week say we managed to accomplish a Trek North Daintree tour with Craig, Green Island Snorkle/Dive trip on the Ocean Free, Tableland drive, Carins Night Zoo, Skyrail to Karanda and the Scenic Train back to Carins from Karanda.

All in all, it was the best holiday ever. I would recommend this area of Australia to everyone.

If anyone wants more information on our trip, I will be happy to provide more details.

Barb
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:18 AM

Hi Barb: I'd be interested in hearing how Green Island is these days, especially the snorkeling vis a vis other places you may have been. Glad you had such a good time!
Ralph
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:29 AM

Barb, would love to hear more about your Trek North trip. I am considering that one as well in Sept with Craig. What other ones did you consider and why Trek North?

Regards - brazoo
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ralph,

Green Island was very nice. We took the Ocean Free (a 65 foot sail boat) to the GBR. The Ocean Free (OF) will only take on a maximum of 35 passengers so it was very enjoyable. The OF moors a distance off of Green Island for snorkling and diving, and will shuttle people to the Island for snorkling, swimming, glass bottom boat tours or semi-submersible tours. The snorkling on the reef was wonderful, lots of coral and fish. One member of our party is a diver...he liked the OF so much he booked several more dives with them. He liked the private/personal attention. I would highly recommend this vessel and its great crew.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Brazzo, The Trek North trip was recommed to us via this members of this site, and I'm glad I took their advice. They even recommed to try and get Craig as a driver...he was very knowlegable and always had an answer to our questions. Second to none was his great sense of humor. He made the "Trek" more than just a site seeing tour.

Barb
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM

I'd love to hear more about the Cairns night zoo. Wasn't it formerly named Wild World? I'm traveling with a 13-yr-old boy so I figured he'd get a kick out of spying on night creatures and such. Would you recommend it?
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:00 PM

Hi Ninja, yes, until quite recently Cairns Tropical Zoo was known as Wildworld. It's one of the few remaining parks in Queensland where you can still cuddle a koala. The Night Zoo which includes bbq dinner, billy tea and damper (joined by the odd kangaroo) is fun and would be ideal for a 13-yo. It's open every night of week except Fridays and Sundays. Transfers are available from your accommodation or you can self-drive. www.cairnstropicalzoo.com
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:23 PM

Thanks, Pat. Sounds like a lot of fun and an entirely different experience from what we'll see elsewhere (like Taronga Zoo in Sydney).

Any suggestions on restaurants in Palm Cove? We'll be staying at Sebel Reef House and we won't have a car.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:31 PM

Hi Ninja - my favourite is Far Horizons at the Angsana Resort - great food and restaurant is right on the edge of the beach. But truly, Palm Cove is quite small, and it's easy to walk around and just pick which eatery takes your fancy on the day.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:27 AM

Hi nipperoni,
I am so happy that you enjoyed PC the place is just great.
And I am especially pleased that you enjoyed Green Island, especially as I have been quite critical of the place on this forum. Sounds like you had a great time.
Ninja Hi,
Wildworld as it was when we were there some time ago is just great for 13yr olds. Our teenagers thought it was great and my daughter had 2 photos taken, 1 holding a Koala and 1 with a BOA snake around her neck.
For Palm vcobe info and restaurants try this site.
www.palmcove.net.au

Cheers

Muck
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Nipperoni - Renting a holiday home is a great idea, especially for a family or group. another lovely one at Palm Cove is at www.casablancaretreat.com - spacious 4 bedroom tropical home in very quiet location but only about 4 minutes walk to beach, Palm Cove Tavern and restaurants. Not available during our summer months - December-Feb.