Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Just back from Australia (Sydney & Port Douglas)!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 07:24 AM
Jen

I'm more than happy to answer any questions I can - used this forum in our planning and want to return the favor! We were in Sydney for a week and Port Douglas (GBR) for a little under a week.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 12:45 PM
susie

Jen <BR>It would be great if you would do a travel log - which companies you used for snorkelling or tours and any "do not miss" places. We are going in a months time. Did you rent a car? Did you use the Boomerang pass to get to Cairns.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 07:41 AM
KC

Hi Jen! <BR> <BR>I would be interested in what you did as well. We are planning a trip to Sydney (1 week) and Port Douglas (1 week) so I would be really interested in what you did, which companies you used, how much time you think needed or didn't need for such things. We are planning on going out the the GBR with Poseidon and to the rainforest, but we don't know which tour to take yet. Also, did you go on any night time rainforest tours? I would also be interested in some good restaurants-any restaurants (expensive or inexpensive)with good food! <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 09:30 AM
Jen

Hi - I'll post my travel log this evening (EST) when I have my trip journal with me...glad to help out!

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 06:39 PM
Jen

Ok - here's our itnerary: <BR> <BR>Days 1 through 7: Ritz Carlton Sydney - great hotel that made wonderful arrangements for us. All dinners and tours recommnended by them. Super staff and service! Great location, esp. if you are into walking and taking ferries. No tour groups stay there - too small. <BR> <BR>Day 1: Botanical Gardens (great), Circular Quay, Rocks, Observatory (okay), CBD, shopping, Sydney aquarium (don't miss), Darling Harbor. Dinner at Rockpool - great food, ok (i.e. disappointing) service, great wine. <BR> <BR>Day 2: Ferry to Toronga Zoo - great zoo (pictures with koalas - can't hold them there), afternoon walk through Paddington and Oxford Street for shopping. Dinner at the International - fabulous, trendy place - super view over all of Sydney. <BR> <BR>Day 3: Climbed Harbor Bridge - definitely worth the time and money - super experience. After - caught ferry to Watson's Bay to Doyles for lunch. Walked around the Gap after lunch - great cliff/ocean views. Dinner at Watermark in Balmoral Beach - best dinner of trip - great view, food, and wines! Can't recommend highly enough. <BR> <BR>Day 4: Ferry to Manly Beach - walked around, lunch at Le Kiosk - great place, eat outside if weather permitting - super beach view and very casual, laid-back atmosphere. Had tickets to show at Opera House that night - good experience (Ritz arranged ahead of time). <BR> <BR>Day 5: Day trip to Hunter Valley with 'Wendt on Tours' tour company - really 5 star company. $145 AUS per person inc. lunch at Roberts - elegant place in the middle of a vineyard. Great vineyards all day. Small tour sizes (2 to 6 person). Phone: 02-9531-6599. Pick up and drop off at hotel. (Ritz pre-arranged for us.) They also do other tours - dinners, Blue Mtn., Sydney tours (historic, cultural). <BR> <BR>Day 6: Booked Wendt again to take us on morning tour of Olympic Site. (Liked them that much!) Shopped and walked rest of day. Dinner at 41 - fabulous dinner - most formal of all places we went to in Sydney. GREAT views and super menu, wine. <BR> <BR>Days 7 through 12 at Sheraton Mirage - was not impressed with hotel or service there. Should have stayed at Silky Oaks - beautiful rainforest hotel, not on beach though. (Not that we really used the beach.) <BR> <BR>Day 7: Travel to Cairns, rent car, drive to Port Douglas. (Don't know what a Boomerang Pass is - booked everything on our own.) Very casual dinner at Mango Jam on Macrossan in PD - great Mango drinks! <BR> <BR>Day 8: Used Wavelength for trip to GBR - small tour (up to 30, but only 4 of us that day!). Went to 3 locations (at one location - saw Poseidon boat at one site, they move around too which we preferred) which was great b/c we experienced different reef areas. Super lunch on board boat, great and helpful staff - they have a marine biologist on board to took us on a 'tour' at the 2nd site. Dinner at Salsa Bar in PD - great food, atmosphere! <BR> <BR>Day 9: Off early with David Armbrust to a spectacular day in rainforest and bush. David is like St. Francis - the animals come to him (actually found him through another Fodors posting). www.anhs.com.au is his site - He's your naturalist and guide for day. No more than 4 people on tour at once. Wonderful day! Lunch in rainforest, great animal viewing. Be an animal and Nature lover to really appreciate this very special tour. <BR> <BR>Day 10: Lunch at Silky Oaks. Took Daintree River cruise with Bruce Belcher (07)4098-7717 - day tours only and only an hour long (which was fine for us that day). Saw super birds and a couple of crocs - that's all we needed. Dinner at Mango Jam again. <BR> <BR>Day 11: Rented bikes and biked around PD. Went to Mossman Gorge (super) in afternoon for a hike. Beautiful. Dinner at Salsa (cancelled res. at Nautalius - just didn't want to get dressed up!) <BR> <BR>Day 12: home <BR> <BR>Loved every minute of it. Let me know if more details are needed.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 12:02 PM
bb

Can you make any comments or tips on the long airplane trip over? Would appreciate anything relevant to making the flight more bearable. Which airline did you take? thanks...your journal was very helpful...

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 12:23 PM
dick

bb, <BR> <BR>The flight to OZ is so long( we started from US East Coast)...that you are almost "forced" to sleep. Unlike a "short" trip of only 8 hours where you might be up the whole time. <BR> <BR>I would take water since many flights seem to run out and it is dry on board. <BR> <BR>For flights that I want to sleep on, I use small foam ear plugs that block out noise and many people travel in loose fitting clothes like warm ups to assist in sleeping. <BR> <BR>We loved Australia and New Zealand which made it easier to justify such a long flight.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 05:11 AM
Jen

BB: <BR> <BR>I have to admit, we were in business class or first class the entire trip - which is the first thing that really helped out! Surprisingly, we had no trouble either way with jet lag and I attribute our success to Tylenol PM - we slept like babies going and on the way back too. <BR> <BR>Earplugs and eye masks are other good things to take along - we used both. Since temps on planes seem to vary widely, we tend to layer our clothes so we can cool off removing layers and warm up adding. <BR> <BR>We flew on Qantas - LOVED IT - over the ocean and internally in OZ and flew USAirways from the east coast and back.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 10:35 AM
Mary Ann

Just saw your posting. I had taken time off from trip planning (we leave early November). We are staying 3 nights in Palm Cove and 1 night at Daintree eco. Based on yours and others comments we booked David for a day tour and Posiedon for reef. Was just wondering what your favorite restaurants were? Also did you go to Mossman or Kuranda? Is it worth the time. Our last day is open and we are trying to decide. After our reef day we are planning to stay in Port Douglas for dinner but are concerned about showers, since Posiedon does not have them. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. Thanks, Mary Ann

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 05:46 AM
Jen

Wow - didn't think I'd see this resurface! <BR> <BR>Went to Mossman - which was beautiful! Didn't go to Kuranda so I can't help you there. <BR> <BR>We ate VERY well in Sydney and did more casual dining in PD - Salsa was our favorite place I think there. There are plenty of casual places to eat in PD so don't worry if you're not showered. Mango Jam would probably seat you with no problem, where as Nautilus would not. There are very casual places along Microssan (hope I spelled that correctly) Street - you can just walk up and down and check out where you want to go. Pack a baseball cap for bad hair and you're set! Have a great trip!

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 03:57 AM
Mary Ann

Hi again, hope I can bother you with another question that just came up last night. Bug Spray? We had thought with different bugs in the Rainforest, especially when we spend the day with David we would just get some at Daintree Eco. However, last night at a travel seminar the speaker recommended buying the bug spray hear due to higher levels of toxicity (spelling) in overseas products could be harmful to us! Did you hear anything? What did you use? Thanks again!

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 05:06 AM
Jen

We used no bug spray the entire time even though we brought it with us. I'd bring it with you, but I wouldn't cover yourself with it until you knew you needed it, esp. with David's day trip. The animals will definitely pick up that scent and may be more sensitive to it than our normal human scent. You use his Landcrusier as a "base" for the day, so just bring a small bag with bug spray with you. He has binoculars so don't worry about bringing those along. <BR> <BR>It is cooler in the rainforest - a long sleeved shirt may be in order as would be pants - check the weather when you go. My point being, if covered enough, you may not need spray at all!

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 01:14 PM
tom o

i generally agree with what's been said--I went to Port Douglas in August and took a reef trip and a david trip. Poseidon seemed to be a very big boat--I enjoyed going on a smaller boat which permitted getting to know the divers better--but they do go to a reef farther out if that is your interest--i didn't need insect spray with david--although he tells you to bring it just in case--i enjoyed some of the casual restaurants on the dock where the dive boats bring you back

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 10:08 PM
gayle

Hi, as an Aussie, I just thought Id add one suggestion to Jens great itinerary.. if you have time, do the one day Blue Mountains bus trip from Sydney, it's a great day and relaxing, everything else she did was spot on. Im glad you had a good time here Jen - Gayle

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 12:22 PM
Elsa Tsao

Hi! I just want to give another "thumbs up" for the Australia Natural History Safari with David Armbrust. My husband and I had an absolutely marvelous time, even though it rained much of the day. Despite the rain (and the movement in the leaves caused by the rain), we were still able to see many animals at Thylogale because of the trust David has built with them. This was definitely one of the highlights of our Australia trip.

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 05:18 AM
Suzanne

Jen, We are going to Oz Dec.17 with a 3 kids, age 12, 9, and 4. Do you think the 12 and 9 year old can handle the Harbour Bridge climb?

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 09:32 AM
mary

chek out their web site I think there is an age restriction for the bridge climb.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Jen

Suzanne - if your children are fearless, they'll love it (and if the age restrictions Mary talked about allow them to go). If they are at all skiddish - I'd think twice. Come to think of it, there were no children at all in the Climb offices when we were there, so I'm not sure children are allowed.

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Audrie

Jen, <BR> Will I need a converter To charge my battery for the camcorder or is the voltage same as in the U.S.? <BR>Audrie

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Elsa

Audrey, <BR>I know you asked Jen the question, but I thought I would also answer. We just got home from AU & NZ, and yes you do need a converter. I don't know if you have a Brookstone store in your area, but I know there are lots in the Boston area. You could probably order one over the internet from them if you have difficuly locating one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -