Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Just another New Zealand Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/just-another-new-zealand-itinerary-803382/)

Wellsvilles Aug 27th, 2009 04:01 PM

Just another New Zealand Itinerary

Two young people in their twenties have been plotting a trip to New Zealand for February 2010. Here's what they've come up with so far:

Day 1. Arrive at AKL in Auckland. Fly to ZQN in Queenstown. Pick up rental car. Check into lodgings. Chill.

Days 2–4. Activities in and around Queenstown, including fly/cruise trip to Milford Sound, bungee jumping (!), visit to Arrowtown, and jet boat trip.

Day 5. Drive to Twizel via Wanaka. Stop for lunch and check out the scenery at Wanaka. Spend the night at Twizel.

Day 6. Drive to Mt. Cook. Take a hike. Drive back to Twizel to spend the night.

Day 7. Drive to Christchurch via Lake Tekapo. Activities in Christchurch. Spend the night in Christchurch.

Day 8. Activities in Christchurch, including the botanical gardens and the city walking tour. Spend the night in Christchurch.

Day 9. Drop off rental car at CHC airport. Fly to NSN in Nelson. Pick up rental car. Activities in Nelson, probably the WOW Museum. Spend the night somewhere between Nelson and Motueka/Marahau.

Day 10. Kayak tour in Abel Tasman National Park. Chill on a beach.

Day 11. More chilling on a beach. Drive to Nelson. Drop off rental car. Fly to WLG in Wellington. Bus to city center. Spend the night in Wellington.

Day 12. Activities in Wellington, including the Te Papa Museum and the cable car. Spend the night in Wellington.

Day 13. Bus to WLG outside Wellington. Fly to NPE/NZNR in Napier. Pick up rental car. Tour Napier. Drive to Taupo. Spend the night in Taupo.

Day 14–16. Drive to Rotorua. Check in to lodgings. Activities in and around Rotorua, including visits to geothermal sites, Tamaki village cultural experience, and rafting trip.

Days 17–18. Drive to Waitomo Caves. Tour caves. Take a blackwater rafting tour.

Day 19. Spend a long day driving to the Bay of Islands. Google maps estimates about 7 hours of driving. Stop only to gaze at the public toilets in Kawakawa. Check into lodgings in Paihia.

Days 20–21. Activities in the Bay of Islands, including a sailing tour and a visit to the Waitangi treaty historical site.

Day 22. More activities in Paihia. Drive to Auckland. Spend the night in Auckland.

Day 23. Drop off rental car at AKL. Fly away home.

Obviously, these young people are under the impression that they can cut out driving time by flying from point to point. Any comments on the feasibility of this itinerary would be much appreciated.

Melnq8 Aug 27th, 2009 04:23 PM

I think the SI portion looks great. I'll leave the NI to those who know it better.

mlgb Aug 27th, 2009 07:09 PM

It's really quite a good itinerary. I'm not up on flight schedules and costs but flying will cut out some driving time.

There are a few spots where they don't really need a car like Queenstown and Christchurch, so it may be more costeffective to take a taxi or shuttle between airport and lodgings and drop a few day's worth of car rentals.

olesouthernbelle Aug 27th, 2009 08:34 PM

I'm taking notes! :)

ElendilPickle Aug 28th, 2009 07:36 PM

I can't comment on the South Island part, but your North Island itinerary looks good to me.

Lee Ann

carrom Aug 29th, 2009 03:47 AM

I think I'll follow this itinerary minus beaches for our two week trip in November! Thanks!

Wellsvilles Aug 31st, 2009 10:19 AM

Thanks for all the input. We are starting to count down to February for this trip : )