What to Do with 4 - 5 Days in Christchurch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ll be working in Christchurch and will have four or five days off the first week in June. This will be my 4th trip to NZ, so I’ve already seen quite a bit. Our South Island favorites were Queenstown and Abel Tasman. Our main interests are scenery, and nature walks. No interest in adventure activities, wines or fine dining. I've been to Milford Sound and was probably a little less impressed than some because I’d recently been to Norway’s fjords.

We’ve been to Christchurch previously, but never saw the surrounding area. So … what do we do with our four days? Arthur’s Pass? Greymouth? Mt. Cook? We could even fly somewhere other than CHC, as long as we get back to CHC. (We'll be coming after working in Auckland.)

Not sure if we should stay in Christchurch and take day trips (bus tours); the TranzAlpine train; rent a car; etc. Should we be concerned about icy roads or snow? I’d rather not do an exhausting trip, because it will be between two very demanding work sessions, but I don’t mind driving a few hours (or flying a short distance) to someplace beautiful.

Can you suggest an itinerary? Thanks so much.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 10:49 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh man, you're killing me! I want your job.

When I think surrounding areas of Christchurch, I think of areas within a 90 minute drive such as Akaroa (loads of walks), Waipara (wine region, but there are a few walks there and it's only 40 min north of Christchurch, some cliffs too), Rakaia Gorge (love, love Rakaia Gorge and few tourists seem to go there - fabulous long walk along the gorge and jet boating too, I can find details if needed), Lyttelton (haven't been there since the earthquake though, not sure what's left), Sumner (basically a suburb, but some nice walks between there and Godley Head (also haven't been back there since the quake), and Hanmer Springs.

Further afield you've got Kaikoura (2:45).

But, if you're after the best bang for your buck so to speak, you could fly to Queenstown, then drive back to Christchurch via Wanaka, Mt Cook, and Lake Tekapo, detouring to 72/77 at Geraldine, which will lead you back to Christchurch via a much more scenic route (which goes right by Rakaia Gorge). You might stop at the Peel Forest near Geraldine to take in some nice walks along the way.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 10:55 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Forgot to address the weather - expect anything. We were on the SI last June and got caught up in a freak storm, but it didn't slow us down much. You're more likely to encounter snow/frost on Arthur's Pass than you are on Lindis Pass, which is pretty weenie as passes go at a mere 971 meters (Lindis is between Wanaka and Omarama). Oh, there are clay cliffs at Omarama too - worth a stop if you're going by anyway.

I wouldn't fret about the weather.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<Oh man, you're killing me! I want your job.>

OK. You can have the part where I tear my hair out trying to organize flights, hotels, and rental cars for eight cities -- and house/cat-sitters -- and you can write the 16 hours of lectures. Then you can do all the promotion. HAHA!!!

Actually, I know how very fortunate I am--and I don't take it for granted. At times it's stressful--but I love my life.

And ... I LOVE your idea of flying into Queenstown (where we have a friend who is a professional tour guide!!!) and taking 2 - 3 days to drive to Christchurch!!!! Brilliant!!! Thank you SO much!!!

The last time we were there it was late May, and there was snow on the mountains, but the days were bright and sunny. Gorgeous! But when our friend took us into Copper Canton there were some icy spots that were pretty scary. Re: the weather ... I guess I'll just hope for the best.