Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Heading for Blenheim in Marlborough Region, SI - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will arrive in Blenheim in mid-November and have rented an apartment for 3 weeks. We're older and therefore content to stay in one place. We do, however, like day trips and we're wondering what else is worth seeing near Blenheim. Christchurch is fairly near. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi JeanneO -

Christchurch is about 4.5 hours from Blenheim, so not exactly day trip material. If you plan to spend a day or two in Christchurch, the train from Blenheim to Christchurch might be an interesing way to go.

From Blenheim you can see alot though. Picton is only about 25 minutes away. There's plenty to do there, particularly if you're interested in hiking/walking. The Queen Charlotte Track is accessed from Picton and points along the sounds. It's easy to walk a section of the track and then be collected by water taxi. There are many other tracks in the vicinity as well and many water related activities...fishing, kayaking, etc.

If hiking isn't your thing, I still suggest you explore the Marlbrough Sounds. You can take the mail boat into the sounds for a day to see some of the bays and small communities within. I also recommend driving the Queen Charlotte Drive between Picton and Havelock - lovely views and several chances to stop at overlooks for some nice scenery. Havelock is the Mussel Capital of the World and home to the Mussel Pot restaurant if that appeals to you. There is a thriving arts and crafts community back there as well.

If you're looking for something out of the ordinary, you might consider the drive from Blenheim-Picton via the back roads (Waikawa and Port Underwood). This is a much longer drive, unsealed and narrow, a bit scary, but the views are outstanding and you'll see a part of the sounds that most visitors never get to see.

Nelson is another possibility, at 1:40 away. There's loads to do there as well, lots of walks in the vicinity, plenty of coves and nooks and crannies to explore, shopping in the town center, exploring the cathedral, water related activities in the bay, etc. There's lots of mountanious forest between Nelson and the Rai Valley, just loads to do if you enjoy the great outdoors.

Beyond Nelson towards Motueka, you'll find Mapua Wharf, with is nice little shops and restaurants, fabulous bakery (the Naked Bun) and smoked salmon shop. Then of course, you've got the whole Abel Tasman region with it's numerous wineries, Abel Tasman National Park, the Motueka Estuary, etc. Beyond Takaka Hill lies Golden Bay, which is another area that could keep one busy for days.

Kaikoura is just under two hours away, with its coastal landscapes, whale watching trips, etc.

You might enjoy a drive out to White Bluffs, which isn't far from Blenheim. And of course Blenheim itself is jam packed with wineries, cafes, etc.

No shortage of thing to see/do
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 12:27 AM

3 weeks in Marlborough country..?

If you enjoy the occasional tipple of decent wine, you could just do day trips to each individual winery in the region.

Make sure you take a camera with you, as some of the memories become a little foggy after a week or so. I think it's about a week anyway, as most of our trip is now a bit of a dream-like blur.

Also...make sure you have a designated driver handy, or alternate this routine with hubby each day. One can "sample" while the other can take the pics.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 12:44 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The Marlbrough region has about 81 wineries. Let's see, with three weeks and 4-5 wineries a day, you could conceivably visit all of them, hic...
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 06:19 AM

Kind of a travesty in my opinion to visit New Zealand and stay 3 weekds in Blenheim.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much for your comments - except for you, migb. My vacation - my choice.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM

Of course it is, JeanneO. I hope you enjoy your stay. Just a bit of a shame to miss some of the other beautiful spots after traveling such a long way. Maybe when you are there you
will decide to perhaps take a day or two around Queenstown.