Search

North Island

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Island

Hi Everyone

Just looking at getting some feedback on our itinerary for New Zealand in December/ early January. We are finalising flights etc in the next few week and wanted to know if our stops are doable in the time we have.

26 - Depart Aus to Auckland

27 - Auckland (Recover from Jet Lag)

28 - Pick up car early AM and drive to either Thames or Pauanui (probably Pauanui)

29 -our points of interest are quick stop at hot water beach, Cathedral Cove and Cormmandel Town ( we love little towns with rich history and happily sit in a coffee shop the whole afternoon. So any other recommendations are appreciated.

30 - Today we will head to Matamata early - Hobbiton Tour (2:00pm?? or later tour)

31 - Matamata to Rotorua - We would like to stop into Tokaroa ( my husband flies RC planes and would like to stop at a club there) - an afternoon activity before New Year Celebrations in Rotorua

1 - Rotorua - Thermal Wonderland and a nature walk in the arvo or canopy tour

2 - Leisurely drive to Taupo to our accommodation

3 - We will be tackling Tongariro crossing today - I am most excited about this!

4- Recover from our hike ( i don't think we will be doing much at all)

5 - To Wellington at our leisure

6 - Wellington

7 - Home to Australia
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 08:30 PM

It's only about half an hour from Rotorua to Taupo, so that drive will be incredibly leisurely.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 02:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Where on earth are you flying from in Australia that you would have jetlag on arrival in NZ?

Auckland is 2 hrs ahead of Sydney & about 3 hours flying time!
Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 12:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to say the same as Bokhara - I doubt that you'll suffer from jet lag, so depending on your arrival time in Auckland, you could go straight to the Coromandel.
Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 06:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Flying from Perth perhaps? A brutally timed overnight flight; only about six hours, but overnight, and a four hour time difference - leaves Perth at dinner time, arrives Auckland at around 6 am.

That flight never failed to kick our butts, took a day or two to recover. Not jet lag per se, but certainly very tired.
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 04:02 AM

Oh, THAT North Island. Never mind...
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 08:53 PM

Book your accommodation well in advance as it's peak holiday time for all of New Zealand.
I would stay nearer the TC than Taupo...National Park would be good. Then you can get a shuttle to drop you off and pick you up at the other end. Be prepared for it to be very busy. We did it over Waitangi weekend (6 Feb) and there were 3000 people also walking the TC.
Rotorua - National Park is about 2.5 hours and would be a nice drive..stop in Taupo for lunch and then down the lovely scenic eastern side of Lake Taupo to National Park.
Shuttles/buses do operate from Taupo but the pick up is very early and it would be a long day.
Ohakune would work as well and then you are that much closer to Wellington for Day 5.