It's so confusing

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Sarah

It's so confusing

Hi and Seasons Greetings!

My hubby and I are taking our 18 month old son (at time of travel) to Fiji for my Birthday and our 2nd honeymoon (we didn't really get a first). We are on a limited budget for accomodation as we have another son at home who requires special care. I will be worried about him, so a phone or email is needed for contact home.
Where should we stay if we enjoy food, scuba diving, snorkelling, hammocking, resting and playing with our son. We need air-con or fan cooled places. We don't want to many children or backpackers or loud bars or nightclubs. Any ideas?
Where is the best place to stay, Coral Coast?
Savu Savu?
It's so confusing

Cheers and thank you for helping out

Sarah

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Mary

For preference I'd stay on one of the islands in the Mamanuca group. I'd suggest Castaway or Matamanoa. Both small enough for the quiet requirements, but have good facilities. The beaches on the Coral coast are not good and the diving/snorkelling are poor. If the options are Coral Coast or Savu Savu - go for Savu Savu. All resorts (except for the really remote backpacker ones) have good phone and email access - but I'd be letting them know that you'll want access to their computer before you arrive!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 11:17 PM
Sarah

Thank you for your response. The prices quoted from the travel agents in Victoria Australia are horrendous! Does anyone have any other suggestions aswell ? Otherwise I think we will be bringing our own tent and inflatable paddle boat!
Help!!!
Sarah

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Kay

Sarah,
you could try some last minute sites which might be cheaper, a couple are:
www.lastminute.com
www.wotif.com
www.roomsaver.com
Also maybe contact the resort direct and ask their best price.
Kay

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:33 AM
Mary

If you're not travilling in either Qld, NSw, Vic or NZ school holiday time there are usually some good Fiji specials around. Make sure your travel agent is not quoting from the Qantas packages (I find them always v expensive), there are a number of other groups around who package to Fiji - and if you can get a good deal on your air fare contact the resorts direct as Kay suggests. However it is often better to go with the package because they give you an unbeatable air fare component.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:59 AM
Sarah W

Happy New Year to you all! Thank you all so much for replying
I have emailed the resorts directly as but the prices are the same as quoted in the brochures. The Qantas brochure is VERY expensive, but I use it for reference.
Have you heard of any of these resorts?

Malolo Lailai Lagoon Resort
Fiji Palms Beach Club and Resort
Lako Mai Island Resort
Mokusigas Island Resort
Naigani Island Resort
The Beach Club @ Marlin Bay Resort (Beqa)
Toberura Island Resort

Flights are taken care of because we are using Frequent Flyer points and already have our tickets. It's the accomodation which is crazy!!! I'm thinking of hiring a tent and bringing with a portable fan.
I tried Castaway and Mamanucas, the result for 7 nights was 3000 plus dollars for 2 adults and infant 18 months, not including food.
Plantation Island for 15 nights was $4000 plus dollars.
I will check out the links you suggested Kay, but I'm afraid that I'll leave it to late and get nothing.
Any more ideas?

Cheers for all your ideas and help so far
Sarah

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 08:53 PM
Sarah

Hello,
Anyone hear about Oarsman's Lodge? What about the Garden Island Resort Taveuni or Lagoon Resort Pacific Harbour?

Sarah

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:02 PM
Lyn

Sarah
Oarsmans Bay Lodge has priv bures with shower & toilet & all food for 2 adults FJD 175. We've styed twice in the last year, however they have no phone only radio and it is remote-via seaplane from nadi 40 mins or 2 hrs by safe fast boat. Try fijiislandstravel.com they are wonderful,speak to Tom or Margaret, they are local afgents and maybe they can help. I would not book using Aus agents-they are only after your money and provide misleading info. Good luck!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:14 AM
Mary

Here are some comments on some of those resorts:
Mokusigas Island Resort - A friend went last year with her family and loved it.

Naigani Island Resort - I've heard good reports (but not from anyone directly)
The Beach Club @ Marlin Bay Resort (Beqa) - we visited 4 years ago and it was excelent. It is however a long transfer from Nadi.

Toberura Island Resort - I visited some 6 years ago and it was fabulous - however it does involve a flight to Suva (which will add to the cost)
Malolo Lailai Lagoon Resort - I visited - just for the day - a couiple of years ago and wasn't impressed by it's location at all. However I didn't see the accomodation (or try the food).

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:27 PM
Sarah

Thank you so much for your replies! I've been so worried, that my husband thinks to cancel the trip! It's just that although we are on a budget, we don't want to be stuck somewhere we can't get to hospital without flying for 3 hours or its too roudy with backpackers wanting to 'party'. We have to be sensible with an 18 month old and its very hard to get answers about resorts from agents. Kay thank you for Oarsmans Lodge! They have given us so far the cheapest accomodation with meals, but they haven't told me if it is easy to swim, scuba dive, have babysitters etc. I'm just unsure. Australian agents are not very helpful and they put a 30% markup on resorts (I compared agents to going directly to resort). I really don't know what to do. Perhaps my husband is right and we should just stay home. Mary do you think Mokusigas is safe for children? We've been told that there is alot of walking and piers etc. I have a bad back and will not be able to run fast enough to catch him, should he decide to go for a dive. Any thoughts?
Thank you so far for all the tips and leads...I am still chasing them up!
Cheers
Sarah

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Mary

Mokusigas is fine with children, one of the best reasons to go to Fiji with kids is that the Fijians LOVE them to bits. They like nothing more than 'taking them over" and there's no way any harm would happen.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Sarah

Thank you Mary!
If the Fijians are anything like the Balinese, I probably won't see my son for the entire holiday!
Cheers
Sarah