Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   IS THAILAND WORTH A VISIT IF YOU ONLY HAVE 8 DAYS (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/is-thailand-worth-a-visit-if-you-only-have-8-days-24956/)

gordon Apr 25th, 1998 08:41 PM

IS THAILAND WORTH A VISIT IF YOU ONLY HAVE 8 DAYS

I would like to visit Thailand next April, but I only have 8 days. Is it worthwhile to go all the way to Thailand if you only have that amoun of time. What are some possible iteneraries in 8 days. Thanks!!

Richard Krause Apr 26th, 1998 06:42 AM

Make it eight days IN Thailand and the trip will be worthwhile. Flying there is very expensive so to justify the cost at least eight days in Thailand would seem about minimum. In Bangkok see the Palace, vegtable/fruit market and take a tour on a small boat on the river. Definitely go to Chiang Mai and take a small tour to up the the hill tribes.

If at all possible, go during the month of January, as it is "less hot" then. Aa the Thais say Thailand weather is hot, hotter, hottest. Even by the end of February it is getting pretty hot.

Thailand is a fantastic place. Of the places I have seen in the world, it is my favorite because it is so different from western cultures and the people are so incredibly friendly.

Have a great time.

Dick

pike richards Apr 26th, 1998 08:53 PM

The trip is definitely worth 8 days but have an idea of what you want to do so that you don't waste time. I am going there myself this May for 9 days, of course I have spent time here before so I know exactly what to expect.
I would suggest that you spend 3 days in Bangkok and either spend the balance of your time in Chiang Mai(hill country) or Phuket (island paradise).

Jira May 5th, 1998 06:38 AM

Remember that you will be spending almost a full day flying to and a full day from Thailand which leaves you only 6 days of fun, less if you count jet-lag.

Good Luck!!!

Bill Merrick May 20th, 1998 07:09 AM

It's worth going to Thailand for 8 hours. I've spent a lot of time there over the past 6 years and it never ceases to amaze me. Just taking a temple tour for a day is worthwhile to get an idea of the people and geography of Bangkok. Then spend a day or two doing river tours - especially the river markets. Then go to Crabbe on the coast. (Remember the spectacular locations in the Bond film "Man with the golden gun" they were shot around Crabbe and Phi Phi. Or you could drive down to Hua Hin two hours south of Bangkok and beach it with the Thai royal family and locals.
Eight days? No problem.

Jo Harriet Haley May 22nd, 1998 08:56 PM

Thailand is great, even if you have only 8 days. Spend only 2 nights in Bangkok, staying in the Oriental, right on the river, and take river taxis to the Palace, the Royal barges, and through the areas where people live. Then head for Chaing Mai and on up to Chaing Rai. If you have a chance, get up to Mai Sen at the Golden Triange. Ride an elephant, see the rivers, meet the wonderful people, have a Thai massage (US$8 for 2 hours when I was there, less now), don't even try to get a bad meal, shop in the markets, buy silk goods (amazingly, the store in the Chaing Mai airport is excellent). Thailand and its people are beautiful, interesting and exotic. Yet everything is totally comfortable. Don't miss it.