is driving difficult in Hobart

Oct 4th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Original Poster
is driving difficult in Hobart

I am so excited about going to Australia next year. Due to time constraint, I will only have 2 full days to explore Hobart. I will be getting into Hobart early on Friday morning. I would like to spend one day driving around the island. Is it best to rent a car from the airport and drive to Battery point (city center), stay overnight at a hotel, then drive the car back the next day or drop it off downtown? Will there be free parking in the downtown area? How is the driving there? Is it easy to drive in and outside of the city? Are the roads hard to find?
Oct 4th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Do you mean you plan on two days in Hobart and one day for outside the city? You won't be able to see much of Tasmania in one day! I'd suggest half a day for Hobart and use the remainder of your time to stooge around the countryside. You still won't be able to see more than a small part of the island state, but I think that's a better use of your limited time. The Tasmania experts here will be able to give you a better idea of an itinerary.
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:34 PM
The 'island' is the size of Arkansas. You could drive from the airport directly to Port Arthur for the day, or up to Richmond, or some of the other close-in heritage sights. On Saturday, you will not want to miss the Salamanca market to which you will walk from Battery Point, not drive. Choose a hotel where you can park for free and in the afternoon you might tour down to the Huon Valley (about 45 minutes from Hobart). Airport to Hobart is about 20 minutes. That is about all you will be able to see in two days, but it will be wonderful nonetheless.
Oct 5th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Hire from the airport and consider pre booking .Lots of car hire options as it is very popular .You could drive on thje history highway between Hobart and Launceston in a day with stops but that is it .No free parking unless at your hotel . Get a map .Easy driving and well signposted . Right hand drive cars you are aware and as a result all the road laws different to USA .Oh and a lovely Market in Salamanca Place on Saturday mornings in Hobart ( near Battery Point)

Search this Thread