International simcards & calling home.

Feb 24th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

International simcards & calling home.

I'm 21 years old and going backpacking in Australia with my cousin and as you can imagine, our parents want us to be able to contact them as much as we can!
We're debating looking into purchasing international simcards & I was wondering if any travels have any tips on which ones are best and provide the best rate for calling back to the UK?
At the moment we've been looking at Geosim which are charging around 11 pence per minute.
Is it worth us getting an international sim or just buying a normal pay as you go SIM card from here in the U.K.?
Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
Feb 24th, 2016, 02:02 PM

Hi,

I've just got a SIM only deal with 3. They let you use your allowance in Australia for free. You can call any UK mobile or landline (not Australian numbers over there though) text and use data. I got 600 mins, unlimited texts and 4GB data for £19. Unlimited data is from £23 per month if you can call on whatsapp.
Feb 26th, 2016, 01:48 AM

You can buy an international SIM card or an Australian SIM card. For the latter, check Amaysim and Vaya. I've used global card goSIM when travelling in Europe and it was fine. Not sure how prices compare with what you've already found but it's all online.

I believe that the accepted wisdom is that Telstra has the best network coverage, followed by Optus then Vodafone. There are some remote areas where there is no reliable coverage. Amaysim and Vaya use the Optus network. Not surprisingly Telstra tends to be the most expensive.

Search this Thread