Intercontinental or the Russell

Mar 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Intercontinental or the Russell

Hi all,

I have posted several times on this site and barely make a decision before doing so. My fiance and I will be heading to Australia in November for our honeymoon and I'm hoping that you folks can help me decide upon which hotel to stay in, while we're in Sydney.

Sydney is our first stop. We'll be there for 5-7 days. I'm willing to budget between AU$250-315 per night for accomodation. To that end, I have reserved a City View room at the Intercontinental and a Superb En Suite at the Russell Hotel.

I understand that these hotels are very, very different and my question is this:

My fiance and I both love boutique hotels and find them interesting and enjoyable, but at the same time we're coming from NY and will be arriving about 24 hours after we leave. Would we be better off staying at the Intercontinental considering our anticipated exhaustion level/jet lag?

Also, I think that I found great deals on these hotels, but would love any alternative that would be better than the above and stay within budget.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Mar 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Given a choice I would definitely go for The Intercontinental. Sure it is a big chain hotel, but it it is in a great location, has every comfort after a long flight and it has sensational views. The Russell would not have the same facilities and although that area is great, it could be noisy.
Mar 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM

I would also choose the Intercontinental especially if you can wangle a room on the Executive Floor - the view from the Lounge up there where breakfast and evening drinks are served is out of this world - in my opinion.
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot! It sounds like the Intercontinental is looking better. Not to throw a wrench in here, but would you happen to have an opinion as to whether or not I should be such a stickler to stay at the Rocks. I can get a really good price at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay and I just wonder whether the location will make that much of a difference. Unfortunately, I really don't have a sense of the geography of the City at all.
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

After careful review, it seems that this same exact question is listed several times on the post. I appreciate the responses and will jump to those. Thanks so very much for your replies.
Mar 17th, 2008, 06:28 PM

While the Russell Hotel is charming and quaint, it is in a noisy part of town.
The Intercontinental is a very interesting hotel. It is a modern hotel with a heritage shell. And as prue said, the view from the lounge is one of the best in Sydney.
Equally good is the Sir Stamford Circular Quay. It is also heritage and elegant with all the facilites you could want. Gym, pool,bars, restaurant etc and views over the harbour. I stayed in room 911 (spooky number) and had a full terrace with views to the bridge, Luna Park, Opera House and botanical gardens. These icons were so close you felt you could reach out and touch them. And The Rocks are just a short stroll away and you are so close to the harbour, cinemas, shops, restaurants and bars at the Quay and the Opera House is a 1 minute walk away.
The Sir Stamford is also a living art gallery of antique furniture.
Have fun choosing.
Mar 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Hey thanks for the heads up on the Sir Stamford. I found a great price on that hotel and I thought about going there. Several reviews of it being a bit run down though.
Mar 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM

The Sir Stamford is not perfect.
It is like a lovely old comfortable country mansion - with silver service.
It is not for everyone but I absolutely loved it and would go back again and again.
If you like elegance and old world charm then it will be right for you.
The Intercontinental is also a lovely hotel - so now you have to choose.
You might have to flip a coin!!