In search of Great Ocean Road info

Aug 30th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

In search of Great Ocean Road info

I'm heading down to Melbourne in mid-September and have rented a car in the city with plans to drive the Great Ocean Road. I'll be leaving Melbourne on a Sunday around noon, then have two nights to wander around before I have to return the car (and myself) to Avalon airport by 6pm on Tuesday night. I'm hoping to spend Monday night in Port Fairy. What's the best bet for Sunday night? I have seen so many differing opinions on how long it takes to get to Port Fairy, etc, that I'm debating whether to stop along the way and spend the night in Port Campbell or the like, or make it out to Port Fairy in one go and spend two nights there. Opinions, please! Thanks for the help!
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Port Fairy is a prettier place with more motels and quaint pubs with very reasonable rates. Scenery is splendid Enjoy the drive.
Aug 30th, 2006, 10:36 PM

If you are not picking up the car until noon, Port Fairy is too far to go for your first night by the time you factor in stops for sightseeing. I would be stopping about Apollo Bay for the first night, then the second night at Port Fairy before heading back the next day. If you only go as far as Apollo Bay the first night you might fit in the Otway Fly as well that day which I think is worth the detour (it's near Forrest).

Search this Thread