Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   If you had and extra night where would you spend it? South island NZ (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/if-you-had-and-extra-night-where-would-you-spend-it-south-island-nz-972894/)

Barbara_Mckeon Apr 2nd, 2013 05:35 PM

If you had and extra night where would you spend it? South island NZ

So we are at a point where we have a general route that works for us for various reasons i detailed in another post. But it seems when I did a new route I wound up with an extra day:)) so where to use it is the question. Here is what we are doing at the moment still researching other must dos in each area with limited time.. We would love to hear about any special day hikes in any of these areas--most we have read about that are awesome are days long:(
Queenstown (two full days)--Day trip to Glenorchy (other day unsure)
Te Anau (two full days) (one day for Milford)
Wanaka (one full day then another on the way back from Mt Cook)
Mt Cook (two days) (one day glacier explorer)
Fox/Franz G (two days) (one day full hike of Fox)
Tranzalpine if we take the early train we may get off at Authurs pass and hang out till the later train comes then on to Christchurch
CChurch (one full day) plan to do day trip to Banks and Akaroa
CC half day as flight leaves to Sydney at 5PM check out the town punting on river?

Where would you add a day as we basically have two days in each place
Our drives from one place to the other are not that long and we are early birds so if we get up early we can get on the road about 7 and to most places between 9:30-10:30 without stops.

Melnq8 Apr 2nd, 2013 07:01 PM

<so if we get up early we can get on the road about 7 and to most places between 9:30-10:30 without stops.>

Good luck with that.

I'd add the extra night to QT.

Good day hikes -

From Glenorchy - the Routeburn Track as far as the first hut and return (takes about four hours give or take).

From QT - Mt Crichton Track

Wanaka - hike to Rob Roy Glacier, shorter hikes to Mt Iron and Diamond Lake

Te Anau - Routeburn Track to Key Summit

Barbara_Mckeon Apr 3rd, 2013 03:00 PM

Thanks Melnq8 I have been googling how long does it take to drive to from various places and although milage may be less the times given seem to take into account that one drives more slowly but I guess it all depends upon traffic.. what has been your experience?

Melnq8 Apr 3rd, 2013 04:48 PM

Traffic generally isn't an issue...the scenery is. NZ is not a place one should rush through. It always takes us considerably longer than the drive distance charts indicate, but we stop a lot, take hikes along the way and generally enjoy the journey, which is just as important as the actual destination IMO.

Keep in mind the roads are narrow and winding, generally one lane in each direction and there are many one lane bridges. Don't expect to be driving 100 km per hour.
Don't rush, enjoy.

Barbara_Mckeon Apr 4th, 2013 04:25 PM

for sure...I get that...we have some choices to make depending upon where we are going and what is along the way but agree.. particularly in NZ I see the journey is the destination