Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   If you had 3 hours in Sydney... (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/if-you-had-3-hours-in-sydney-770319/)

nadyag Mar 1st, 2009 05:26 PM

If you had 3 hours in Sydney...

Hi,
i'm transiting through Australia and will only have 6 hours between my flights, of which i'm thinking 3 will be safe to spend in the city. Any suggestions on how to wisely spend those 3 hours? I understand that it's a very insignificant amount of time to spend in the city. I'll be content with just seeing a couple of the major sights and taking a few photos.
Also, is the City Rail/Airport Link the best way to reach the centre city from the intern. airport? I understand it's the Green line?

Thank you!
Nadya

Bushranger Mar 1st, 2009 09:42 PM

You're not that Nadya are you?!!!
But look, is the six hours between scheduled landing and wheels up? and are you talking about two international flights?

If so, given immigration both ways, customs [ and hopefully luggage can be checked through to next flight] and checking in, just allowing three hours for that is cutting it fine and probably no better if going from international to domestic or vice versa.

But if time does allow you to persist, yep get the train at the airport - just follow signs and buy a return [ ask for a timetable at same time re return times], jump on and alight at the Circular Quay station - the line goes tubal after Central Railways station.
Alight at Circular Quay and you'd have an hour and a bit with which to have a quick wander about between Rocks and Opera House which are either side of Circular Quay which is main ferry terminal.

If you find you have closer to two hours[more, hopefully] up your sleeve, check ferry times - there's ticket windows right at head of the quay/wharf - and you might be able to fit in a return trip to Manly or even Watsons Bay [ get a feed of fish and chips]

Bushranger Mar 1st, 2009 09:51 PM

You also need to apply for a transit visa if you are just coming and going from Oz and want to leave the international transit area or it is going to be eight hours or more between flights - http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/transit/771/

And Note: You need to apply for that visa prior to heading to Australia.

navgator Mar 1st, 2009 11:51 PM

Bushranger provides some good info

Airport transfer info

http://www.airportlink.com.au/

you could catch a ferry out to Manly and back (same boat) or use a private cruise company like captain cook cruises

http://www.captaincook.com.au/home.a...BF549AC7BA7D89

navgator Mar 1st, 2009 11:52 PM

PS both suggestions on the ferry/boat rides were intended from Circular Quay

afterall Mar 2nd, 2009 01:04 AM

As above, but I would walk up to the Opera House and back before jumping on a ferry. And I wouldn't go to Manly, I'd go to Cremorne Point using the Mosman ferry service. Why? Just a bit too far to Manly whereas only 10 mins to Cremorne Point. Once there, spend 25 mins walking up the side of Shell Cove or Mosman Bay for the views, and back, and return by ferry to Circular Quay. Total time 45 minutes as against 1hour and 15 for Manly (and no time there to leave the ferry jetty).

It's an alternative, anyway! And, of course, you could take a taxi back to the Airport to save some time.
Cheers.

pat_woolford Mar 2nd, 2009 02:34 AM

I'd just go the the nearest pub!

Bushranger Mar 2nd, 2009 02:47 AM

Might as well stay at the airport to drink then Pat.

shandy Mar 2nd, 2009 02:47 AM

I have to go with Afterall, I think Manly is way too far to be attempting in such a short amount of time. A quick trip over to Cremorne Point, and a walk round to the next ferry stop or two would be much beter. You could even just stay on the ferry and complete the trip back to Circular Quay without it taking up all that much time at all.

pat_woolford Mar 2nd, 2009 03:06 AM

I thought of that Bushranger, but you'd learn a lot more from locals at a pub.

Anyway, apologies for being flippant, Cremorne Point on ferry, or just a ferry ride there from Circular Quay would be a lot faster than Manly.

BarbaraS Mar 2nd, 2009 05:45 AM

In 3 hours I think you could stroll by the Opera House and into the Botanical Gardens, walk along the harbour to Mrs. Macquarie's chair. Then head over to the bridge and do the Pylon Lookout http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/Visitor_frs.htm. You'll get great views of the harbour and some interesting history about the building of the bridge. On your way back to Circular Quay you could do a bit of shopping and grab something to eat at the Rocks.

nadyag Mar 2nd, 2009 03:25 PM

Thanks so much, guys! i'd definitely hit the pub if i had more hours at my disposal :). i do have a transit visa, so i should be good to go. i'll see how much time i'll end up having to determine whether i'll be doing the ferry.
cheers!

LaurenKahn1 Mar 2nd, 2009 04:26 PM

I can't imagine running around Sydney for a couple of hours between international flights. You are going to be exhausted and worried about making your connection.

Have a drink at the airport.

By the way, if you are flying Quantas, many Quantas flights are delayed.

Bushranger Mar 2nd, 2009 04:58 PM

LK
"I can't imagine running around Sydney for a couple of hours between international flights. You are going to be exhausted and worried about making your connection.

Have a drink at the airport.

By the way, if you are flying Quantas, many Quantas flights are delayed."

That's the hidden advantage Lauren - helps you to sleep on the flight and not be thinking too much about all those Qantas parts needing to be screwed back into place while the flight is delayed! - wouldn't count on that though.

LaurenKahn1 Mar 2nd, 2009 06:11 PM

Hey, I got to the airport in Auckland to go home and slowly turned around to read the departures. My flight to LA was delayed EIGHT hours--and that was just the start.

I went over to the Quantas desk and cried. Some idiotic judge had scheduled a trial for me the day I got back. I objected stating that there "could be a problem."

OK, I barely get back, make my connection and stagger into court to do this trial. Thank goodness it was a bench trial. I had a minor role in the fracas and knew I could do it in my sleep--which is exactly what I ended up doing.

The judge says to me, "Ms. Kahn, you're late." I looked at her and said: "I was rerouted home and had 5 hours sleep in the last 48 hours. You are lucky I am here at all." End of conversation. Judge said nothing. I did the trial in my sleep. Fortunately, I had very little to do because, at that point, very little was what I was capable of doing.

I was rerouted home on Air New Zealand. My impression was that it was a much better airline than Quantas, but I only have the one flight to go on.

This year I am going to Finland. From the US, that is a comparative short hop.

BarbaraS Mar 3rd, 2009 12:38 PM

I think it's interesting that many recommend going to Manly rather than actually seeing Sydney. I think perhaps we have lots of none city people posting.

LaurenKahn1 Mar 3rd, 2009 12:52 PM

I think the whole idea of Manly was just to spend time on the harbor. Practically, the OP does not have enough time to do anything in Sydney even if he is not totally exhausted--which I do expect he will be.

Bushranger Mar 3rd, 2009 02:09 PM

My initial thought on the Manly ferry Barabara is as an alternative option to footing it about as it does give you a great perspective of Sydney.
The short time available will not really give much opportunity for a detailed look at too much, it being more a whiz and click event and the ferry allows that for and possibly better of the Opera House, the Bridge and the Heads.

The ferries run on the half hour taking 41 minutes, so time may allow it.
http://www.131500.info/realtime/full...;x=31&y=10

navgator Mar 4th, 2009 02:59 AM

I'll add another option which gives you great views looking back at the city and a nice walk over the harbour bridge.
Catch the ferry from Circular Quay and transfer to Milsons Point (Darling Harbour Ferry). Walk up the hill to Milsons point train station, and walk under the overpass, and enter on the Kirribilli side of the footbridge. Walk south over the Bridge admiring the views of the city. Walk back down to Circular Quay and if you have time , wander around to the Opera House and maybe catch a nice meal at one of the restaurants on the way. A decent meal might break up the monotony of your airline food
Providing ferry times suited , you could do this in 1.5 hrs
just another thought as walking over the bridge is akin to walking over the Brooklyn Bridge in NYC.
just another thought but bare in mind you will need a little energy for the walk!

navgator Mar 4th, 2009 03:00 AM

edit!

there is no transfer on the ferry
should have read
Catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Milsons Point (Darling Harbour Ferry)