Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   If going to Vanuatu, do visit other outer islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/if-going-to-vanuatu-do-visit-other-outer-islands-391435/)

tropo Jul 8th, 2008 04:39 PM

If going to Vanuatu, do visit other outer islands

This being Australia/Pacific chat board, I thought others might be interested in Vanuatu (just got back from my first trip there - flew over not a cruise holiday)
Would only recommend 3 full days in Port Vila, 3 days on Tanna & 3 days on Santo. Nice short flight over - just over 2 hrs duration, great weather in June (around 26 degrees daytime, and 21 overnight, with a sea temperature around 23-24 degrees, also hardly any humidity at that time of the year)
If you go to Tanna, do visit & walk on the outer rim of the volcano - something you will remember for many years)also great diving around the coastline of Tanna, but then don't forget Santo.

afterall Jul 9th, 2008 02:07 AM

Thx for the post, Tropo. Looked seriously at Vanuatu last year but was put off by the cost of those inter-island flights, seeing as there are no regular shipping services left.

Where did you stay on Tanna? (Just in case I get to looking again).

tropo Jul 9th, 2008 05:52 PM

Afterall - we didn't think the airfares were that dear to get to Tanna, especially to have the experience of a lifetime, in walking on the rim of an erupting volcano, a real buz.
We stayed at Whitegrass Ocean Resort which is close to the airport, and has some great coral reefs just out the front of the resort. Bouys & rope help you pull yourself out past any waves. When you get to the end buoy, enjoy the drop-off & coral on the side of the old lava flow. The couple who run the resort come from Qld, and are most helpful. I must say later afternoon at the resort, is great to sit with your loved one, sipping a nice wine, and watching the sun set in the west (like Perth), then stroll back to the restaurant for nice seafood meal. Lots to see & do on Tanna, just ask your host.
We met lots of Aussies coming & going to Tanna, and some staying at other resorts nearby, and the one thing came across strongly, was that, they all felt they should have spent more time on Tanna & less at Port Vila.
Overall, we enjoyed our Vanuatu holiday, great weather, good swimming & diving, friendly locals, interesting sights, short flight to Vanuatu (no jet lag here), everything is laid back as they say.
I think there logo says it all, "Another time, another pace"

thit_cho Jul 10th, 2008 05:41 PM

Thanks for the post. I am planning a trip to New Caledonia and Vanuatu in December 2009, hoping to get free tickets on Air NZ using my miles.

Who did you fly to Port Vila?

Thanks

tropo Jul 11th, 2008 08:13 PM

Chit Cho - if your looking for a real island/cultural experience, then Vanuatu's "outer islands" will give you that experience. Otherwise staying in Port Vila is okay, a bit touristy, but make sure when you in Port Vila, to do some tours away from Port Vila, eg. Pele Island, Lelepa Island, Coongoola Day Cruise, Round the Island tour, etc, etc....there is life outside of Port Vila.
The real Vanuatu is found in the outer islands, in my opinion.
We flew with Air Vanuatu, as my wife gets QFF points with them. However, I'm sure Pacific Blue is just as good.