Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   How much time at LAX? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/how-much-time-at-lax-252612/)

Kristine Aug 24th, 2002 05:45 AM

How much time at LAX?

We are travelling from Detroit to LA to Sydney in November. How much time do we need to check-in/go through customs in LA? Our plane from LA to Sydney leaves at 10:30pm.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Kristine

joe Aug 24th, 2002 08:46 AM

Any travel agent can you give you the legal connection time and then you can adjust from there. Depending on the airline you may have to clear your luggage and then recheck it which is a bit of a hassle as the international terminal is in a separate building across the street.

xx Aug 24th, 2002 03:47 PM

You only need to go through customs on the way into countries not out. So customs in Sydney and coming back LA. If you want a chance at an exit aisle seat on the way out plan to be at the ticket counter 3 hours before takeoff.

JoeM Aug 26th, 2002 08:17 AM

I went to Sydney thru LAX in May and had 1 1/2 Hrs. in the airport. This was more than enuf time.

Lindsay Aug 26th, 2002 10:04 AM

Hi! Actually I have no idea but I was thinking of asking the same ? you did. I have a question for you though.. well, my Fiance and I are travelling to AUSTRALIA and many other places, for our honeymoon in Jan '04. Do you know of any nice places to stay that arent too pricey? I would rather pay for my visit there than spend all the $ on fancy hotels. What about things to do over there, aside from sight-see? Anything interesting and unique? My Fiance has been there before, once for 5 months when he was in college and he seems to know everything about the country but I would like to surprise him and show him that I've done my homework... if you have any info that you think might be helpful (websites, infor etc etc) please please feel free to email me. This is my 1st time overseas, and have no clue as to what I'm supposed to be looking for. <BR>Thanks!!! :)<BR>--Lindsay <BR>Boston, MA, USA

mercy Aug 26th, 2002 10:26 AM

The minimum connect time from domestic to international at LAX is 2 hours.

Louis Aug 26th, 2002 02:02 PM

I would suggest 3 hours at least although the time of the year and the hour might make things a bit faster. It is a matter of luck. Recently in San Diego we spent 2 hours to check in and go through security for a flight to London and they have almost not international flights. You will need to take a bus shuttle to the internation terminal and the walk to the gate is long after the checkin. LAX is not noted for it efficiency in handling passengers. Also most airlines have cut staff so much that they often don't have enough staff at the checkin counters to handle passengers rapidly. If you can fly a code share to Australia with the same ailine leaving Detroit you are in the most protected position. Your bags will be checked through and the only risk is that there is local problem at the airport or your plane is late which is not likely in the late evening. If by chance they close the airport which happens once and a while most likely your flight out will be delayed until the airport opens again. You might like to consider staying over night in LAX near the airport, it will break up a very long flight.

liz Aug 26th, 2002 02:58 PM

I second the suggestion about staying overnight in LA en-route to Australia. Although you may think that the addition time i.e. waiting for you flight in Detroit - flying time to LA - waiting in LA for the Australian flight is only say 6 hours or so, it really does make the flight to Australia a very, very long one. Stay at one of the airport hotels in LA and you can rest up there till you flight is about to leave and then the 14 hours won't seem so bad.