Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

how far in advance for domestic air tickets in Australia?

Jan 29th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

We are coming to Oz in November on FF tickets on Qantas and don't qualify for the Aussie Airpass. So I will be buying domestic tickets. We will need one way tickets Cairns-Uluru, Uluru-Melbourne, Melbourne-Sydney. How far in advance should I be looking at them for the best prices? Since I'm in the US, do the local airlines do e-tickets or will they be mailed? Which is the discount airline, Virgin Blue?
Jan 29th, 2006, 01:24 PM

The good news is that 1-way tickets don't cost a premium like in the US. Your options are basically Qantas, Jetstar (a low-cost Qantas subsidiary) and Virgin Blue.
I would say that it is probably too early to buy the tickets, but not too early to at least start researching the prices, so if a good sale comes along, you can grab them. However, I suspect that sales for late this year won't kick in for a while.
We just traveled on Qantas and Jetstar, and tickets were e-tickets.
Do note that since Jetstar and Virgin Blue are low cost airlines, they do tend to nickel & dime more than Qantas (i.e. more strict baggage allowances, no free food).
Jan 29th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Yes, by all means start researching now. When you see a deal, jump in, but not before you've made a call to your credit card company to tell them what you're about to do, or else the transaction might not go through because of security measures.

Then call them again before you leave, and ditto with your bank where the money is that you'll draw on with the ATM card.

WK
Jan 29th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Also just a thought - both Qantas and especially Jetstar are inclined to change their flights without warning - so it pays to check regularly.
Jan 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM

I am personally fond of Virgin Blue and booked my two one way tickets, Melbourne-Launceston and Hobart/Sydney before the end of the year to take advantage of the great sales rates at that time. They are for May/June. You can also watch the happy hour sales which take place daily from noon until 1 Oz time, altho may not be your destinations every day. The service is fine, the flights leave on time, and if you've flown Southwest in the states, or have ever seen the TV program "Airline", you've got the picture. If it helps, my Hobart/Sydney flight was $A69, which is a greater distance than from Melbourne. And they will always be e-tickets.
Jan 30th, 2006, 12:09 AM

To go to Uluru (Ayers Rock) Qantas is your only option!

I used to think you needed to book ahead - and you probably do in busy periods.

Last week I was looking at prices to go Syd-Cairns in May - Qantas price $196. For interest sake, I checked the price for the following day - and it was the same.

Have a trawl through the websites of the airlines mentioned above - see what the going price is, get on the mailing lists for those airline specials, and strike when you see a bargain. Some people have got brilliant fares just by watching the specials. All airlines are pretty competitive. Virgin Blue may be a tad cheaper. Remember Jetstar flies out of Avalon, not Melbourne itself, for Sydney - so one of the others is probably a better bet.

Yes - they do e-tickets - they're the preferred option. . I had no problems going to Melbourne last week on Qantas - booked tickets for my partner and I, using Amex, and auto check-in worked a dream!

(Confess to a preference for Qantas)