Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Hotel in Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/hotel-in-sydney-729118/)

judilie Aug 15th, 2007 08:22 AM

Hotel in Sydney

We were in Sydney last year and are returning for a couple of days this year. Last yeat we stayed at the Russell and loved the location, and hoped to stay there again. However, it appears that there aren't any rooms available on our dates (Nov. 9-11). I'd appreciate recommendations of other hotels in that general area that are fairly reasonably priced. We particularly liked walking to the botanic gardens, and being near the bridge and Circular Quay, and would like to be near them if possible.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Judilie

longhorn55 Aug 15th, 2007 02:29 PM

You might try the Bed and Breakfast Sydney Harbour Bridge which is located on Cumberland Street in the Rocks. We, as well as friends and relatives, have all stayed there and enjoyed it very much.

judilie Aug 15th, 2007 03:01 PM

Thanks. I've sent them an e-mail inquiring about availability.

judilie Aug 15th, 2007 11:10 PM

No rooms at the Russell or the Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney, and the only room available at the Bed and Breakfast Sydney Harbour Bridge is fairly expensive. I’m trying to decide between (1) the Lord Nelson (room with ensuite is $180 per night and a room with shared bathroom is $120 per night; both tariffs include continental breakfast in the Brasserie), (2) the Australian (Heritage) Hotel (100 Cumberland Street in the Rocks; rate is AU$125.00 per room per night, shared bathrooms, and includes a continental breakfast), or (3) the Mercantile (25 George St.; $110 per night for a double with shared bathrooms or $140 per night for a double en-suite room; both rates include breakfast). The Palisade Hotel is another possibility, but I haven’t heard back from them yet regarding availability and rates. I’d appreciate comments and advice about these alternatives.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Judilie

ms_go Aug 16th, 2007 03:23 AM

We stayed at the Lord Nelson in June and were very happy with it. We had an ensuite triple room on the top floor (three flights of stairs) in the corner of the building with views in several directions. It is not as close to Circular Quay as the Russell, but we liked the location, nevertheless--quiet, and it only took about 5-10 minutes to walk to Circular Quay and maybe 20 to the opera house. The pub tended to get full at night. A few times we intended to eat there and had to go elsewhere. No problems with noise from the pub in our room, but it was winter and we kept the windows closed. I posted some more info in our trip report, which you can find by clicking on my name.

judilie Aug 16th, 2007 07:27 AM

The Lord Nelson sounds great, but it's a bit more out of the way than the Mercantile. Is it sufficiently nicer to compensate for that?