Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Honeymoon Itinerary Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/honeymoon-itinerary-help-1016016/)

rami87 Jun 2nd, 2014 09:52 AM

Honeymoon Itinerary Help

Hi Guys, would really appreciate your help. Tried to do some research and to narrow down the options, and basically did whatever I can not to come with the question: "can you give me an itinerary?".

So, that's the shortlist below, we are talking about net of 22 full days. Want to optimize to catch as much as possible, in a honeymoon pace, not to run and rush too much. If we will need to drop something, we (sadly) probably will. The preference is to fly internally whenever possible.

So, the question, how would you distribute the days between the following? is there something absolutely vital we are missing that worth looking at? Is there something you would drop from the itinerary? Will it be reasonable in November to do it north to south due to the weather?

Cairns, Daintree & Cape Tribulation, GBR, Hartley's Crocodile Adventures, Brisbane & GC area, Sydney, Blue Mountains, Melbourne, Philip Island, Great Ocean Road, Kangaroo Island, Cradle Mountain, Freycinet.

Things that we would like to include as well, but probably won't have time: Whitsundays, Fraser Island. Especially interested in Whitsundays, but getting there and out seems very time consuming.

Thanks, Would appreciate any tip and suggestion.

tripplanner001 Jun 2nd, 2014 02:24 PM

Congratulations. While what you suggested is "possible" with 22 days in Australia, my recommendation would be to trim it back to three or four areas of focus if you are interested in not rushing and having some time to take in and appreciate what you'll be seeing and doing. You can easily spend all your time in any one of these places and not run out of things to see and do, but a week in each place is doable. For a good overview of Australia, do the Great Barrier Reef along with the Daintree, Sydney and the surrounding areas, as well as perhaps one or two of the other places you have in mind (e.g. Melbourne from where you can do Philip Island and GOR, Adelaide / Kangaroo Island, or Tasmania). Let us know if you have other questions.

sartoric Jun 2nd, 2014 07:30 PM

Agree with TP to trim destinations to 3 or 4 with your time frame. Work out what interests you most. Is it animals, history, food......something else....?

The North Queensland area has beautiful natural attractions. The GBR is within easy reach, you could base in Port Douglas and hire a car for day trips.

South East Queensland (Brisbane and Gold Coast) has a mix of culture, beach,Theme Parks, and a scenic hinterland, both attractive with loads to do. It's about 1 hour on the train between the two cities, I would stay on the GC and take the train to Brissie to the Southbank cultural precinct for a day.

Sydney is iconic, one of the most beautiful harbour cities, great walks, museums and a fantastic zoo where the animals have a view. The blue mountains can be an easy day trip.

Melbourne and environs have loads of things to do. The Yarra Valley is only an hour or so away, a vineyard area with fantastic wine and food. Ballarat is an historic gold mining town about 100 kms west of Melbourne with well preserved Victorian buildings and a great art gallery.

Kangaroo island might be a stretch, getting there will be problematic in your limited time. It will involve a flight to Adelaide then KI (connections would add time) or drive to Pt Jervis for a ferry. Distance from GOR - Pt Jervis is maybe 600 or so kms, so I don't think you have time to drive.

Tasmania is also a flight away, and needs at least a week to do justice.

It's hard, but you have to decide what activities and experiences you want.

If it were me, I'd spend a week in NQ, a week going from Brisbane to Sydney via rental car, then a week in and around Melbourne.

Come back with some specific interests and I'm sure you'll get lots of help from this board.

di2315 Jun 3rd, 2014 03:04 AM

Hi rami87

Keep in mind that every time you change cities, you virtually lose a day in flight travel time. So looking at your 'wish list' you wouldn't even get to spend a full day in any of your places!

I'd recommend you spend some time with a good travel guide book, and trim down to a max of 3 or 4 centres, then come back with specific requests of how to organise yourselves within these.

I don't know about the far north in November, but anywhere from Brisbane down you shouldn't have a problem with weather.

Happy planning, Di

Patty Jun 3rd, 2014 12:05 PM

We did Cairns, Tasmania, Adelaide, Kangaroo and Sydney over 16 nights. It was hectic but doable. We fell in love with Tassie. I would probably drop at least one off of your list. What are your interests? BTW you can see fairy penguins on KI and Tassie.