Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Honeymoon - Great Barrier Reef, Fiji or NZ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/honeymoon-great-barrier-reef-fiji-or-nz-127835/)

Tom Seiler Jun 3rd, 2001 12:27 PM

Honeymoon - Great Barrier Reef, Fiji or NZ?

Hello. I am planning a honeymoon for the end of this October and am trying to decide between the Great Barrier Reef, Fiji and NZ. We have between 7 to 10 days. Maybe that isn't enough time to truly enjoy each area. Any insight would be appreciated. Note that both of us like the outdoors and nightlife isn't that important. We are looking for a memorable/special trip with beautiful scenery but want to take it easy. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Tom

kim Jun 5th, 2001 07:15 AM

Dear Tom, <BR>My honeymoon was last november and we went to australia. We had 3 weeks, but you could do alot in 10 days. You could do GBR and sydney in that time. As part of your sydney trip, I would recommend 2 days, 1 night in the blue mtns since you love the outdoors. We took a canyoning trip that was the highlight of our trip. (you must not be afraid of heights) Good luck. <BR>

Mary Ann Jun 6th, 2001 04:16 AM

Hi Tom <BR>From your email there are a couple notes that I am basing my comments on: <BR>1. Limited time (7 to 10 days) <BR>2. Love Outdoors <BR>3. Take it easy, night life not that important. <BR> <BR>We were in Sydney, GBR and NZ last November. Based on the above, I would suggest the following; <BR> <BR>You do not say where you are coming from. If it is the US you will lose 2 days in flying time there and back. That gets its down to 5 to 8 days. <BR>If it is 5 days, I would limit it to probably Fiji. The GBR is very interesting, weather can be iffy (check the rainfall there) and it is farther to fly to than Fiji. <BR> <BR>In either case (5 or 8) I would not do NZ. Weather again at that time of year is cooler. NZ at least for us was very active. Catching early planes between locations, driving between locations, tranz alpine trains, jetboating, helicopter rides to view glaciers,etc. These activites are dispersed. <BR> <BR>If you do have 8 days (net) you might do the GBR with a couple nights in Sydney. With limited time, I might skip the blue mountains (pretty but no comparison to NZ) Ususally it is a welcome escape from the heat of Sydney but in October the weather is much cooler in both locations. At the GBR you can do the rainforest 1 day, Kuranda, snorkeling, beach relaxation, butterflies. You might combine it alternatively, instead of Sydney with Brisbane, depending where you fly into and out of the continent. <BR> <BR>Sydney is a wonderful city, but it is a city. Big things are the Bridge Climb, Opera House, Kangaroos, Harbour cruise, aquarium, etc. <BR> <BR>I guess the bottom line is, it is a gorgeous part of the world, but with limited time, to spread yourself thin would not do the country justice and seem to contradict your objectives. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps

Kerry Jun 12th, 2001 02:46 AM

Hi Tom <BR> <BR>I'm just back from Fiji (yesterday) and I live in NZ. At that time of the year I would definitely go to Fiji but you must go to one of the islands, don't stay on the mainland. We went to Nanunu-i-ra Island where they have budget but right on the beach for $F71 per night for two to luxury for $F 300 /NIGHT. Great places for a honeymoon with fabulous beaches, snorkelling, walking, diving and great meals. <BR>We had 8 nights and have come back feeling like we have been away for a month. We have travelled a lot and still think that, after NZ!!, Fiji is a wonderful destination. <BR>Kerry

scurry Jun 12th, 2001 09:00 AM

<BR>I too would suggest Fiji because you could do 2/3 different resorts there during that time. If you tried Australia or NZ, you'd leave feeling that there was still so much that you hadn't seen. <BR> <BR>