Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > Home Exchange in Australia? Where would you choose to go?
Notices

Home Exchange in Australia? Where would you choose to go?

Feb 1st, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Home Exchange in Australia? Where would you choose to go?

OK, still working on figuring out where we might go in Australia. I posted a couple of days ago about wanting to see wildlife. So, as I was working thing out, I got the brillant (maybe?!) idea to try to find a home exchange situation in Australia. We live in New York City so we should be able to find some Australian interested in visiting our city!

Home exchanges seem like a neat possibility to see a new place while saving some $$. But I'm a little torn as to where we should go that might keep us occumpied for a week or longer....especially as distances in Australia are so great, and we'd need to return to home base every night.

As I said in my previous post, we're not interested in cities. We're interested in experiencing some of Australia's great nature and wildlife. So, I'm thinking that either Cairns area for the Great Barrier Reef and maybe Daintree...or Western Australia, but the distances in Western Australia seem too far to be locked into one place...

So any comments? Any particular town along Northern Queensland? We're in our late twenties (which is why the saving $$ part is important), and we don't really need a party atmosophere....

We'd like to snorkle, visit some wildlife centers, maybe take a night wildlife spotting tour....
Feb 1st, 2007, 02:06 PM

Fortunately I have visited NYC several times, but I am sure there are many Aussies who would be interested. Take a look at the Sunshine Coast www.sunshinecoast.com.au a bit south of the GBR, but a great area of Australia. I am thinking Noosa Heads ("Noosa" to us), Maroochydore, Caloundra etc. All easy to get to from Brisbane and close to such places as Fraser Island (wildlife), Hervey Bay for whale watching, The Glass House Mountains and really heaps more.

Search this Thread