Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Do you like Queenstown or Christchurch better?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 04:38 PM
Elsa

I was wondering whether Queenstown or Christchurch is the nicer city? Are they similar or totally different? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 01:50 AM
Paul S

Elsa, <BR> <BR>They are totally different, my wife and I personally preferred Queenstown for its spectacular scenery, it is truly breathtaking. <BR> <BR>Christchurch is a big city and although it has a quaintness to it we would rather spend more time in Queenstown than Christchurch. One thing to do in Christchurch is to climb the steeple of the Christchurch Cathedral. <BR> <BR>Queenstown is the best place to base yourself for touring the southern end of the South Island especially the Milford Sound area. <BR> <BR>Cheers

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 05:13 PM
John

Elsa: <BR> <BR>The above posting is entirely correct. <BR>They are both beautiful in their own unique way. Not just the scenery, but the people. <BR> <BR>Can't wait to return (November). <BR> <BR>You can't go wrong at either place. <BR>John

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 05:02 AM
Dick

Elsa, <BR> <BR>As previously posted, the two cities are entirely different. <BR> <BR>Personally, we much preferred Queenstown. I think a lot depends on how physically active you are. Christchurch felt like a city to us with a real downtown area and an overall cultural feel. Queenstown felt like more of a resort town...more young people....unlimited amount of outdoor activities..more scenic....and the opportunity to really have fun.

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 12:14 AM
Scott

Elsa <BR> <BR>Christchurch is one of NZ's oldest cities and has a great guided walking tour of the cental city. One of its highlights is its central arts area, which really is abuzz with life in the weekend. Christchurch is also within driving distance of Akaroa, a small, pretty town, founded by the French, that we greatly enjoyed. <BR> <BR>Central Queenstown is really quite small, but is always alive with people who are using it as a base: snow sports in winter, stunning scenery all year around, water sports in summer. It also has a century-old steamer that will take you on the beautiful Lake Wakatipu - either a two hour trip, or else a visit to a sheep station for a delicious meal and a demonstration of dogs working with sheep. <BR> <BR>In short, don't miss either ! <BR> <BR>Scott

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 11:44 PM
lorrie

BOTH !!!!!!!! AS MOST FLIGHTS WILL GO THROUGH CHRISTCHURCH TO GET TO QUEENSTOWN YOU CAN SEE BOTH. <BR>FROM QUEENSTOWN YOU CAN TRAVEL TO MILFORD SOUND,TE ANAU,LAKE WANAKA,CROMWELL,ARROW TOWN. QUEENSTOWN IS BEAUTIFUL SUMMER OR WINTER, ALL SEASONS, AUTUMN IS GORGEOUS TOOOOOOO! <BR>cheers from a kiwi