Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Hiking Milford and Routeburn track together -realistic itin?

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Nz in Dec and want to do both the Milford and Routeburn in 1 week before meeting up with my wife and her parents for a more relaxing rest of trip. I have seen that technically it is feasible but is this itinerary realistic?

Sun 3 Dec Arr Auckland 1.05pm - connect to NZ Dep 2.25pm Arr Queenstown 5.15pm.
Stock up on supplies and equipment (recommendations?)

Mon 4 Dec Catch Tracknet coach Dep Queenstown 7.00am Arr Te Anau 9.50am
Alternative place to stock up on equipment and supplies (recommended stores?)
Catch bus 1.15pm to Te Anau Downs connecting to boat, Arr Glade Downs 3.30pm
Stay overnight at Clinton Hut

Tues 5-Wed 7 Dec - trek Milford Track as normal

Wed 7 Dec Finish Milford Track and catch bus to The Divide Dep 3pm Arr 3.30pm
Stay overnight at Howden Hut (chance to restock supplies?)

Thur 8- Sat 10 Dec - trek Routeburn Track as normal

Sat 10 Dec - Finish trek and catch Tracknet bus to Queenstown Dep 3.15pm Arr 7.15pm
Check in to a nice hotel and rest!

I know this seems like a squeeze and there are some really tight connections but looking forward to anyone's advice as to if this is possible at all/enjoyable. If I had to break it up and fit in 1 extra day to make it more relaxed, where would you fit it in?

Also do I need to carry enough food for all 6 days or is there the opportunity to restock between the 2 tracks?

Many thanks
John
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 03:01 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
John,

If by "supplies" you mean food items, there's a nice big New World grocery store near the Queenstown airport. There's also a smaller food store right in town (not sure of the name), but I'd avoid that one if you can, as it's very limited and expensive. I know there are others as well, but they may be off the beaten path a bit.

Te Anau is quite a bit smaller than Queenstown, but there's a Four Square grocery store in town, and possibly others.

If you go back through Te Anau or Queenstown in between tracks, you'll have the chance to restock, but I don't understand the "Divide Dep" reference, so can't help there.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Sorry didn't make it clear but there is a bus that takes you from Milford Sound to The Divide, which is one end of the Routeburn.

Is it preferable to go back to Te Anau in between to get hot shower/food/proper bed for 1 night before going to the Routeburn?
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM
ALF

I don't think that this itinerary is do-able. That last day on the Milford Track is a long walk (albeit all flat or downhill), and then you have to catch a boat from Sand Point to Milford. I think that counting on making a 3pm connection out of Milford is possible if you get a very early start from Dumpling Hut, but it is quite risky; and why would you want to hurry on a hike? I would allow at least a day between the Milford and Routeburn Tracks.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The Divide is after Te Anau, so it appears that you'll have to go back to Te Anau to restock, but taking a break in between sounds like a good idea to me.

Have fun (I envy your energy).
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

OK change of plan slightly...

I now want to do the Routeburn first as it means I can leave from Queenstown at 12.30pm, so I can catch either the 2.25pm flight on Sunday or 7am flight on Monday. This way I finis the Routeburn in 3 days and then head over to Te Anau to recover and restock. Then the next day I can head over to the Milford Track or 4 days. I understand I can get a bus directly back to Queenstown from Milford Sound on the last day, getting me there by Sunday night. Good timing as I cna meet my wife and her parents flying in from HKG via AKL.

Any recommendations on shops for hiring equipment in Queenstown?

Thanks
John
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM

JSC,

-The first night in Queenstown you will be jet lagged, but going up the gondola gives you a great view of the Remarkables. And don't forget to pick up your hut tickets in Queenstown at the DOC for the Routeburn track that you already reserved.
-Catching the bus to the start of the Routeburn Track. ($30 NZD) past Glenorchy in the morning. You probably want to book the Routeburn Falls hut for the first night instead of the Routeburn flats hut, as the second day on the trail will be easier.
-Next day hike past Harris saddle. A good side trip up Conical hill here if it is decent weather out. You can see the Tasman Sea on a clear day on Conical hill. Arrive at Lake MacKenzie hut.
-Next day hike from Lake MacKenzie hut to the Divide parking area. You will go past Earland falls along the way which are cool. You also have the choice to side trip up Key Summit if you have the time and energy. This day is mostly down hill too. Try to time you arrival to the Divide with plenty of time. Take the bus to Te Anau(that you pre-booked), and stay at a place; and take a shower. Get some more food for the Milford track provisions. Next to the larger grocery store in Te Anau is a movie theatre. See the movie "Ata Whenua" (32 minutes and $10 NZD, but pretty cool movie of Fiordland.)
http://www.fiordlandcinema.co.nz/aw/aw.htm

Pick your hut tickets up at the DOC for the Milford track before they close in Te Anau.
-Next day take bus to start Milford track. I didn't to the Milford, but did the Kepler Track instead. So blah blah blah on the rest.

I think tracknet will pick you up where ever you are in when you are in Queenstown for the Routeburn track start, and when you are in Te Anau for the Milford track; just ask. There are several bus companies in that area too.

On the renting of gear I don't know, but in Queenstown there were tons of hiking places. Just don't bring too much crap, as you have to carry it.
-Pack
-probably two liters of water on hand at all times. (I didn't filter the water but you might wan to.)
-rain/wind gear (pants(I used the pants in at the huts at night
) and jacket)
-light hat(fleece or whatever)
-very light pair of gloves
-maybe a fleece jacket too(I didn't, so I was bad.)
-food/tea bags
-sleeping bag
-cooking pot(I ate out of my pot)
-cup for instant tea or coffee(or just use your two one liter water bottles or camel back if you don't do the coffee/tea thing.)
-spork and small utility knife
-matches or lighter for the stoves (that are provided in the huts)
-flip flops for after hiking so you can take off your boots.
-two pair of socks
-1 pair of shorts
-2 hiking shirts
-light weight wide brim hat.
-sun screen
-tolietries(personal care items)
-stash of toliet paper
-t-shirt for nights at huts
-camera
-print some business cards with your name and email address off your computer to give to people that you make a connection with. (Instead of a ripped piece of paper and pen that we put in our wallets and always lose or can't read.)
-put everything in clear zip lock bags so you can find stuff and keep dry.
-a rain pack cover
-a trash bag in your pack and put everything in it as a liner.
-sun glasses
-bandana
-ointment if you chafe
-pen and paper
-very small am/fm radio
-A book to read that interests you.
-extra batteries
-ear plugs if you are a light sleeper in the huts. Someone always snores.
-Extra shoelaces(If one of yours breaks)
-hiking poles if you can get them, but not the biggest deal.
-minimal first aid kit. Duct tape and ibuprofen.
OK, now I sound like a busy body. This not a complete list and you may find things you find essential and what is not. I think if you like hiking/tramping you will fit this trip in perfectly. Your shoulders might get sore from the pack weight, but maximizing your time with all that great hiking is smart.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the comprehensive advice leftgoofy (not a boarder by any chance..?) Couple of Qs:

Is the tap water safe to drink in the huts? I am used to tap water over here in London and would be happy as long as it won't give me any stomach upsets.

Do I need a sleeping bag? I have a cotton bag cover but guess I will need something warmer.

Can you recommend any hire shops in Queensland where I can get supplies?

Finally what sort of pack weight is bearable? I have done 3 days before with 10kg but I will have an SLR camera so guess I will have to put up with 15kg this time