Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > herron island-least best time for snorkeling
Notices

herron island-least best time for snorkeling

May 18th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

herron island-least best time for snorkeling

Looking at Austraila-a trip of a life time for this senior citizen. Mainly interested in the great barrier reef and probably herron island. (also Sydney); but would love to go when not windy and when the water is not cold.
May 18th, 2014, 12:48 PM

Been to Heron five times (last time 2001), but every time was in the "winter" (June-Sept). Although we were okay with it, water was a little too cool for some people. Summer months (Dec-Mar) are hot, and some people complain about the nesting birds that settle on the island then. But the summer is also best for maximal activity on the reef - turtles are also nesting, for example. The spring and autumn months April-May and Oct-Nov will have warmer water with less birdlife if that is a potential problem for you. Snorkeling is excellent any time of year! It's a wonderful place and I'd love to return again sometime.
May 19th, 2014, 03:20 PM

I've been many times to Heron Island, wind hasn't ever been an issue that I recall. I've been in August when the water is quite cold, September it starts to warm. However In August-September the water is clearer and there's much less rain. You can also see whales around the island at that time.

In the December-January-February period, it rains briefly most days and hence the visibility in the water is not as good. That said, as Ralph indicates, the turtle nesting and hatching season is in summer so you get to see the turtles nesting at night and the hatchlings going into the water at dusk.

Search this Thread