Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Heron Is or Lizard Is (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/heron-is-or-lizard-is-570733/)

Fauna Nov 13th, 2005 06:30 PM

Heron Is or Lizard Is

Where is the best diving and snorkelling experience? Lizards Island seems so exclusive, but is it really a better experience for the money than Heron?

pat_woolford Nov 13th, 2005 11:17 PM

Fauna, they're about 1800 km apart and are in different climate zones, so the marine life differs considerably. What month are you thinking of? Have you considered a liveaboard, there's some excellent ones out of Townsville, Cairns and Port Douglas which will take you from reef to reef for different diving and snorkelling experiences.

Fauna Nov 14th, 2005 03:27 AM

Thank you for such a prompt reply. Actually we are going in to be there in two weeks, it's a last minute thing. We've already seen turtles hatching in Latin America, so that wouldn't be the attraction. We only got three days and wanted to stay on an island. These are the two which sounded interesting. I keep forgetting that Australia is so huge to really make a comparison.

sfgirl3 Nov 15th, 2005 10:16 AM

We picked Lizard over the other islands, will be going there next week so can't provide first hand experience yet. One of the big turnoffs for us about Heron is that there are a LOT of birds there, and even more birddroppings all around. Our friend who went did not like it at all b/c of the bird droppings.

luckykat Nov 15th, 2005 11:13 AM

Heron is pretty whiffy! We stayed there a while back and had an ok time. The reef directly off the beach is not so great as the resort offers reef walks which kinda trample the coral! As you get away from the beach, it gets much nicer.

What I didn't like so much was being 'assigned' a table in the dining room and feeling a bit like one of the sheep.

I haven't stayed at Lizard but by the sounds of it, I think yoiu might like it better.

happy1 Nov 15th, 2005 11:17 AM

We are going ot Lizard Island next week and we CAN'T wait. I researched the other islands and heard the coral storms are nice in November on Huron, but for the overall best of the best Lizard is the way to go. I am a small island fanatic and I hope this matches the hype. I will post info when I return.

ChrisS Nov 16th, 2005 08:54 AM

Anyone who is a small-island fanatic should consider Wilson Island in the Capricorns, about half an hour by boat from Heron Island. The Heron resort runs a five-day package in which you spend the first night on Heron, then you and 2 to 10 other guests transfer to Wilson for three nights (with the fifth night back on Heron before heading back to the mainland).

Wilson is a little place (you can walk around the island in 20 minutes), quiet and unspoiled. For three days, you get to spend your time swimming, snorkeling off the beach, lounging in a hammock, walking on the reef at low tide, birdwatching, reading, sketching or photographing, napping, or just staring at the beautiful water. It may be the purest relaxation you'll ever experience.

If you go, inquire about which times Heath and Jacinta are there (they swap staffing duties with another couple). Heath is a professional chef whose cooking is out of this world.

We missed Wilson the minute we left (a month ago)!

A few caveats: the island is definitely a place for lovers of the outdoors. The accomodations are luxurious safari-style tents with king-size beds and open verandas that look out on the sea. But they are tents, and the well-equipped bath house is a (short) walk down the path. There are noddy terns and muttons birds in profusion in nesting season, so you will hear their cries at night and have to walk beneath them on the paths. Also, I don't think Wilson takes children under 16.

You can fine more info. at www.wilsonisland.com/

2seeds Nov 16th, 2005 10:32 AM

My husband and I stayed on Lizard Island for 5 days in Dec 2003. It was the most relaxing, best food, great accomodations, and wonderful diving we have ever experienced. If you can afford Lizard that is where I would go in a heartbeat. Enjoy!

Fauna Nov 16th, 2005 06:40 PM

Thank you very much. It seems that Lizard does get the most favorable responses. We booked Lizard for three days. I cannot wait either :)