Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Help with planning NZ trip- 3 weeks (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/help-with-planning-nz-trip-3-weeks-496774/)

rarmalb Jan 19th, 2005 02:41 PM

Help with planning NZ trip- 3 weeks

Hi all,

Well I stumbled accross this forum just yesterday, and have already gathered STACKS of info for our upcoming trip (in Feb). It is FANTASTIC to get feedback from people who have actually been there, and can offer an honest opinion (well I hope so anyway)!

I am hoping that some of you who have been to NZ can answer a few questions and offer some advice. We have booked accommodation and car hire etc. I just have a few queries about the following:

Hangai Concert- Rotorua. There are a few apparently. I don’t want to go, but my partner is adamant that we go, so what do people recommend? Which is the 'better' one?

Gondola and buffet dinner in Rotorua. Any good?

Doubtful Sound Cruise- Any comments on this cruise? We have decided to spend the $$ for it, but any feedbcak would be welcome. Also, how far in advance should we book it. According to the travel agents, ASAP, but they say that about everything....

Deer Park -Queenstown – Has anyone been there?
Gondola and buffet dinner- Queenstown- Is this any good? We only have one night in Queenstown, so would hate to ruin it with a crummy meal

Guided Tours on the glaciers- Any recommendations? Is it worth our while to go on a guided tour- We only want to go on a short walk, not the all day ones.

Christchurch- Need day trips and advise on what to do. Due to last minute changes with airline tickets, we will be here for 5 days.

TransAlpine Train Trip to Greymouth and back from Christchurch ? – Any comments on this trip, and is it worthwhile (fairly pricey for the 2 of us)
Thanks heaps for any answers in advance. It is a honeymoon, and a big splurge $$ wise for us, so we want to get the most out of it.

R

jonesie Jan 20th, 2005 11:15 AM

Glad you found info! We were just there in November, so here is what I can offer:
Doubtful Sound overnight-- one of the highlights of our trip. If you know you want to do it, book now (they will charge your credit card too, we were a bit surprised!) Let me know if you want any specific info about it.

Glacier walk-- we kept trying to take a helihike, which was cancelled 4 times due to weather!!!! We just did the walk up to the terminal face (takes about an hour, give or take, depending on how much dawdling you do)-- I think the only advantage of being on a tour is they explain features of the glacier, and you get to walk a bit on the ice-- personally, we have been on terminal faces before, and didn't see the point in the $50 per person.

Christchurch-- 5 days!!!!!!! Seems like an awful lot!!! We were bored in 2. Hopefully you plan on doing day trips up to Kaikoura, Akaroa, and such. I might suggest even renting a car for 5 days-- personally, it's a city, and there are so many more beautiful sights to see, especially with just 3 weeks!
Good luck!

ElendilPickle Jan 20th, 2005 01:58 PM

Hi R,

You may have read my hangi post already, but we did the Mai Ora evening concert and hangi offered at Te Whakarewarewa. We enjoyed the glimpse into Maori culture and the dinner was good. http://www.nzmaori.co.nz/thermal.htm

Lee Ann

rarmalb Jan 20th, 2005 02:58 PM

Thanks very much for the prompt responses- Much appreciated.

Well, based on your feedback we probably won't pre-book the glacier walks- just see how we go when we get there. Thanks. Unfortunately the heli-hike is a bit too pricey for us, and we can't justify the cost for it.

Lee Ann- thanks for the comments on Mia Ora Hangi concert etc- I'm not usually a big fan of these types of concerts, but it is something my other half insists on doing.

Yep, 5 days in Christchurch- The extra 3 days were tacked on due to a last minute change of flight times, and unfortunately we had already booked the entire trip (accommodation and car hire etc). It would have cost a fortune to cancel and change things so we have more time at other sights. But we are renting a car, so will definately do day trips from Christchurch, and take it easy for the last few days- We'll visit those places you suggested.... any more ideas...??

Thanks again...only 6 work days to go....

R

Melnq8 Jan 20th, 2005 03:53 PM

For another day trip from Christchurch, you might want to consider Hanmer Springs, which is a 90 minute drive from CH. It's a tiny town known for it's thermal springs, and it's definitely worth a visit if you're interested in taking a soak in the pools.

Melnq8 Jan 20th, 2005 04:01 PM

Someone already mentioned Akaroa, which if memory serves, is about a 60-90 minute drive from CH. This is also well worth the time IMO. While in Akaroa you can take a harbor cruise and/or visit the Pohatu Penguin Reserve. There's also a cheese factory and a winery if you're so inclined.

FYI - if you're interested in visiting wineries, there are several between CH and Banks Peninsula (Akaroa).

Have fun!

rarmalb Jan 20th, 2005 04:46 PM

Thanks for your further help guys.
We will be staying one night in Hamner Springs, but I'm sure we could go back for a day trip if it is worth our while (aka interesting enough).

R

LittleNell Jan 21st, 2005 03:11 PM

Hi. Just returned from 3 1/2 week trip to NZ. 5 days in Christchurch is a lot. I would go up to Kiakaura and do the dophin swim with Dolphin Encounters. You have to book ahead if you want to swim and not just observe. We booked ahead and were glad we did as there were 12 people waiting at a time standby to go at any time! You are provided with a wetsuit, hood, snorkel and goggles (even with a perscription is you need it and I did!)and flippers. We were in the water about 6 times over a 45 min period and the dolphins were beautiful! I even swam in a circle with one and many pass right around or under you just to "check you out"! One of the best experiences of our trip even if the water if chilly! We also were cancelled on our helihike due to weather but had a great time just walking up to the glacier-alot to see at the Franz Joseph on your won without a guided walk. Had two delicious dinners at the Blue Ice Cafe in the town of Franz Joseph. Try the fish special-delicious. Little Nell

Abby43 Jan 22nd, 2005 01:32 PM

Hi-you will have a great time in NZ. I also agree-Christchurch is nice but I got bored really easily. I was going to go to Hamner Springs but due to time issues I didn't but it looked like a nice relaxing pit stop. I also went to Mt. Cook and Lake Tekapo, then took a bus to Christchurch so maybe that could be a long day trip. Both were fun for a few hours b/c again the scenery was just incredible.

Doubtful Sound by far was one of the highlights of my month long tour. It was STUNNING-the scenery was spectacular and you felt like you were in the middle of nowhere. Very peaceful and just gorgeous. Definitely do it. I didn't go to Milford Sound only b/c someone recommended Doubtful and b/c there are fewer crowds there.

I also went to Rotorua which stinks (something about sulfur) but I did the Hangi dinner with Tataki Brother who were recommended by people on this site. I didn't think it would be my thing but I loved it. It was also winter when I was there and to see these people almost naked dancing around was quite interesting!

In addition I did the iceclimb helihike in Franz Josef. Also one of the highlights. We took a helicopter to the top and cruised all around the glaciers. Then we iceclimbed for a few hours. The problem is that trips do tend to get cancelled b/c of weather (I had to wait a day) but if you can be flexible it is well worth it.

The Tranz Alpine was kind of cool but I was not as impressed as some peole on this forum who love it. Maybe because it left so early in the morning that I had trouble staying awake??? :)

I hope you are going to Queenstown as that is also heaps of fun. So many adventurous activities to do there.

You will have so much fun. Enjoy it-I wish I could go with you.
Abby

rarmalb Jan 23rd, 2005 03:08 PM

Well thanks to you all for your responses- I promise to post a report when I get back so other people can hear about my experiences- It is really useful to hear other peoples experiences.

Keep the recommendations coming....we are going to Bay of Islands, Coromandel, Roturua, Taupo, Masterton, Wellington, Picton, Hanmer Springs, Christchurch, Dunedin, Te Anua, Doubtful Sound Day cruise (is there a certain operator we should book with, or is there only one company that does these cruises?), Queesntown, Haast, Franz Joseph.

Thanks again,

R

Zavier Jan 26th, 2005 08:58 PM

Hi! Regarding the Tranz Alpine Train from Christchurch to Greymouth and back, it's 4 hours each way and the scenery is stunning! I have done it 4 times now. Viaducts, mountains lots of greenery - and spending time outside on observation platform will certainly refresh you and provide good photos - a bit sooty to be out there when the train goes through the tunnels though - but a very interesting experience.