Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   HELP WITH FIJI BURES (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/help-with-fiji-bures-582078/)

TRAVELINMAN Jan 16th, 2006 06:16 AM

HELP WITH FIJI BURES

I am looking into going to Fiji with my wife. I have narrowed the list of resorts to a handfull. They are: Matamanoa, Tokoriki, Matangi, Toberua, Kulu Bay and Lomalangi. Can you provide me with any recommendations, good/bad about any of these resorts? Thanks.

Lyndie Jan 16th, 2006 01:33 PM

We stayed at Tokoriki in 2001. Unless the management of this resort has changed and the resort has moved to the other side of the island i.e.not facing west, then I doubt the place has improved at all. We had a quite dreadful stay there with toilet smells from overflowing sewerage, a beach full of seaweed, staff bickering, very basic food quality and we were not the only people there who were disappointed. We wrote a note to the management before we departed the resort as the owner was absent and we have never received a reply. The resort is located facing west & although the sunsets are pretty, the wind on that side of the island is often too strong for sea planes to land. Forget it!

Peteralan Jan 16th, 2006 04:35 PM

I have not stayed in any of these places but friends stayed on Toberua and loved it. They said it was more upmarket than some and a highlight was wading in the waves in a group, making clapping noises which apparently attracts the fish. It is not near the islands usually visited being more at the Suva end. Enjoy whatever you choose !

maryk Jan 18th, 2006 02:16 AM

We stayed at Tokoriki in 2004 and loved it. The bures have also undergone a re-vamp since then. We visited Matamonoa & Toberua a few years before that - and I'd choose Tokoriki over Matamanoa or Toberua, although Toberua was quite nice. The main problem for me with Toberua is that you have to spend a lot of time getting there - flight to Suva and then over an hour for the transfer.
You don't mention if you want to scuba dive. If you do, Matangi is apparently fantastic, friends visit each year for the diving and love it.

TRAVELINMAN Jan 18th, 2006 04:10 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies. Maryk, Which of the resorts had the better beach. I am looking for a nice beach, pool, clean bures-that aren't outdated, great snorkeling & diving, clear water without seaweed and enough to do over 8 days.

maryk Jan 19th, 2006 01:18 PM

If you're looking for diving I'd go to Matangi. Toburua has very limited beach and the diving is not great, I'm also not sure of the status of their pool. The two Mamanuca resorts - Matamonoa & Tokoriki both have reasonable beaches & good pools - although in 2004 ALL of the resorts in the Mamanucas were affected by seaweed (apparently due to coral reefs being broken down during a cyclone in early 04). Tokoriki were making valiant efforts to remove it every day and were working with the other islands to have it cleared generally- but I don't know what the situation is currently. As I mentioned I understand that all of the bures on Tokoriki were re-vamped last year (although they were perfectly nice before). We saw the first one and thought it looked gorgeous.
The diving in the Mamanucas is okay - but not sensational. The snorkelling everywhere is excellent.
I have emailed by friends about the beach, pool etc at Matangi - but they're overseas at the moment and I'm not sure when I'll hear back. I'll post if I do.

eliza3 Jan 25th, 2006 06:27 PM

Of these resorts I have only been to Toberua. It is lovely but it is an incredibly small island (4 acres) and it is also close to Suva and therefore can get its weather - often crappy. The bures are lovely - esp the ones with 2 decks - one facing pool and the other the beach - just glorious. It also is a major 'food' experience - unlike most other resorts in Fiji. Pool is fine. Will be pretty full of Suva expats on cheap local rates. Not a huge beach but fine and husband enjoyed the diving.

Tim_and_Liz Jan 25th, 2006 07:10 PM

We just returned from Tokoriki and Matamanoa. Unfortunately I would NOT recommend staying at Tokoriki due to the major (and extremely smelly) seaweed issues they are currently having. See the reviews at tripadvisor.com
Matamanoa was a very nice resort but the furnishings (especially the shower) were older. I was not bothered by it but it's important to note. The snorkeling off of Matamanoa was the best we have ever seen anywhere! If you like to snorkel you should stay there.

Lyndie Jan 25th, 2006 07:20 PM

When we stayed at Tokoriki a bride looked like she'd need to reschedule her wedding as the seaweed was so smelly & the beach was full of seaweed. She was devastated! We flew out before the wedding but our stay was a waste of our time & our money!

The Yasawas don't have similar problems or not in my experience of visiting there during the past 5 years!

Tim_and_Liz Jan 25th, 2006 07:37 PM

I heard the seaweed problem is so bad at Tokoriki for 3 reasons: overfishing of the reefs, a constant southeasterly wind for the past few years, and no cyclone in the past 6 years.
I am not a dramatic person but I can honestly say that the seaweed smelled like swampy death. We were only there for 2 nights and that was long enough! We did really enjoy the resort otherwise-- the pool was beautiful and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

TRAVELINMAN Jan 27th, 2006 04:42 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have narrowed the resort list to Matamanoa. Based on all the seaweed posts, should I look to the Yasawas? Are there cheaper resorts/bures than Yasawa Island that are still nice?

Tim_and_Liz Jan 27th, 2006 09:00 AM

I don't know about the Yasawa resorts, but there was NO seaweed at Matamanoa. The beach had some coral on it due to the amazing reef directly offshore. If you want to see reef, then go to Matamanoa. If you want a white smooth sandy beach, look into the Yasawas. I hope that helps!
Liz