Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Help planning my visit to Uluru in late February (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/help-planning-my-visit-to-uluru-in-late-february-1544032/)

ajc Nov 11th, 2017 09:04 AM

Help planning my visit to Uluru in late February

I know that Uluru is very hot in late February so I need to maximize the early morning and late afternoons that I have to visit. I fly in around 12:30 p.m. so was wondering if I would be able to drive to Kata Tjuta that first day and explore it before it gets dark, then do Uluru for the sunrise the next day along with a hike.....back to the hotel during the hottest hours and a return for the Sounds of Silence dinner that night. I understand the flies are awful at that time of year. Does that affect the Sounds of Silence dinner? Can't imagine paying $200 to have a miserable time with flies.

tripplanner001 Nov 11th, 2017 03:15 PM

How many nights do you have at Uluru? We were there in early December, when the temperature was above 40 C / 100 F - hot. Given the time of year, we stayed 3 nights to maximize our early mornings and evenings, and it was the perfect amount of time for us. Go to Kata Tjuta in early morning if you can; the Valley of the Winds hike is so worth it but may close during the day if the temperature rise high. The Sounds of Silence dinner was a highlight for us and we didn't experience flies there. We found the flies to be the worst during sunrise and sunset at some of the viewpoints. You could read my report of our time there in 2013 there if you like; it's titled "From Singapore to NZ...".

ajc Nov 11th, 2017 06:25 PM

I have 2 nights. I arrive around 12 p.m. and have the rest of that day and all of the next day. The third day my flight leaves at 9:45.

Thinking now maybe I should do the Sounds of Silence the first night as it will probably be too hot to hike at the Kata Tjuta on my first afternoon- sometime around 1. Then maybe I should drive to Kata Tjuta the next morning to do the Valley of the Winds hike. Maybe I can do the Mala hike later that afternoon and on my last day watch the sunrise at Uluru before flying out. I appreciate your advice.

Did you wear netting over your head when the flies were bad?

Melnq8 Nov 11th, 2017 06:56 PM

I lived in Australia for seven years.

My experience with flies - if it's warm they're out and active. If it's hot, they're out in droves. If the wind is blowing, they're slightly less miserable. They're not bad after sunset.

<<Did you wear netting over your head when the flies were bad?>>

We sure did. We're big walkers, and never left home without a fly net tucked into our backpack. Best purchase we ever made. I was tempted to wear one in the city many times too:)

Buy yourself a fly net - put it over your sun hat, slather on the sunblock, keep water with you at all times and kick yourself for selecting February:)

tripplanner001 Nov 12th, 2017 03:46 AM

Your planned itinerary makes sense, assuming the weather will be cooperative. We did not have fly nets - just wide-brimmed hats to protect from the sun - but it would been useful.

Diamantina Nov 12th, 2017 03:50 PM

Agree, a fly net is a good investment. I bought mine in Uluru, where it was critically needed during the day, but needed it again many years later when I finally visited the Great Ocean Road (at the end of warm November).

ajc Feb 13th, 2018 04:33 AM

Trying to find your post that included Uluru, Sydney etc. and was entitled From Singapore to NZ.......can you send me a link? I want to copy it for my trip! Thanks.

BigRuss Feb 13th, 2018 07:42 AM

In February you'll need that fly net.

I was there in late April one year and sorely tempted to get a fly net, but I was traveling with an Aussie and didn't want to take lose face because she didn't use one.

Have also been there in June, when you just about need to search to find flies. That was way better.