Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   HELP! Daintree or Snorkeling with Wavelength?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/help-daintree-or-snorkeling-with-wavelength-572523/)

slv_jr Nov 23rd, 2005 09:10 AM

HELP! Daintree or Snorkeling with Wavelength?!

We are in a tight schedule and only have 1 full day and 2 half days in Port Douglas. We hear raves about snorkeling with Wavelength and hear wonderful things about the Daintree area. We arrive in Cairns at 11:05am and have a rental car. Is it possible to tackle Daintree when we arrive? Our accomodations are at Port Douglas. HELP.. we leave for our trip to Australia tonight. Thanks for any advice!!!!

midwestcoup Nov 23rd, 2005 11:10 AM

So I'm taking that you arrive at 11:05 a.m., which is one of your half days, then have a full day in Port Douglas, then a half day?

If that's the case, it's certainly possible to get to the Daintree from Cairns on that day that you arrive-- but you're not going to get to spend much time there before heading back. The distance isn't terrible, but the roads are winding and somewhat slow. But I'd imagine you could get up to Cape Tribulation (allowing for only brief stops along the way), then head back at nightfall.

The argument could also be made that you could take the more leisurely path and enjoy Cairns and Port Douglas (don't miss eating at Salsa, if you can get a table) rather than rushing up to Daintree.

Wavelength worked out well for us when we were there a few weeks ago. I'd only caution you to bring your own underwater camera, rather than renting their digital cam.

If it were me, I'd enjoy the beaches and maybe check out the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park on those half days, then use my full day for the Wavelength snorkeling.

Have fun!

slv_jr Nov 23rd, 2005 12:28 PM

thanks and yes, we arrive Cairns at 11am, then have a full day (Wavelength), then we have a half day before our flight leaves Cairns at 3:30pm. Since this is probably the only time we'll make it to Australia, we will try to tackle the drive up towards Cape Tribulation on our arrival date. Any not to miss sights along the way? Any other stops in Daintree?

pat_woolford Nov 23rd, 2005 09:42 PM

pat_woolford Nov 23rd, 2005 09:50 PM

With those time constraints I wouldn't attempt to make it to Cape Tribulation - by the time you get there it'll be time to turn back on the same road. Night falls quickly in the tropics at about 6.30pm, very little twilight.

There's some lovely drives in Daintree National Park south of Daintree River - see www.daintreevillage.asn/au and an easy drive back to your accommodation at Port Douglas.

jess Nov 26th, 2005 03:46 AM

Sly, We did not do the boat in queensland but did the airtour to Lizard Island with daintree air.

That was one of the big highlights of a tour across the top of Australia.

The reef we swam on was the best we had ever seen.

The flight over the rainforest including Daintree and Cape Tribulation was beautiful

The scenery from the air including the great barrier reef is some thing not to be missed.

Enjoy your days, there's lots to see.

Jess

myaustralia Nov 26th, 2005 04:56 AM

I agree with Pat. Do not go up to Cape Tribulation. Remember, that you will arrive at 11.05am in Cairns, which means you won't leave the airport before 11.30am - 11.45am. It takes you at least 1 hour to get to Port Douglas and from there it is at least another 1.5hrs to Cape Trib if you don't stop along the way.
If you don't have much time, stay south of the Daintree River as Pat said. You can visit the Mossman Gorge and maybe take a river cruise.
Wavelength is the way to go and you will have a great time.

Enjoy your trip.