Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Help 14 days Australia (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/help-14-days-australia-933456/)

park Apr 30th, 2012 01:32 PM

Help 14 days Australia

I have just completed my itinerary. Would appreciate letting me know what you think?
Arr Melbourne 3 Nov from Lax
4 Nov Melbourne City Tour
5 Nov Melbourne Great Ocean Rd Tour by bus
6 Nov Melbourne
7 Nov Melbourne Phillip Island tour
8 Nov Melbourne / Hobart by air
9 Nov Hobart Day tour
10 Nov Hobert/Sydney
11 Nov Sydney/ Ulruru
12 Nov Uluru
13 Nov Uluru/Sydney'
14 Nov Sydney City tour
15 Nov Sydney Blue Mountain tour
16 Nov Sydney
17 Nov Sydney
18 Nov Sydney /Depart
Should I cut out Hobart and spend more time in Uluru or Alice Springs? Thanks

Melnq8 Apr 30th, 2012 01:56 PM

Personally, I'd not bother going to TAS for less than a week. It's a beautiful state with loads on offer, but I fail to see the point of flying there for a day tour of Hobart, which while pretty, is still just a city. The best of TAS is well outside the cities.

luvtravl Apr 30th, 2012 03:54 PM

Instead of Tasmania you could also consider the Grampians which are just a few hours from Melbourne. We were there in late November and it was wonderful. Lots of wildlife, good hikes, etc.

AlanJG Apr 30th, 2012 05:04 PM

Drop Hobart and spend more time outside Melbourne or Sydney.

Songdoc Apr 30th, 2012 05:25 PM

I second the suggestion to trade Hobart for the Grampians. Otherwise, looks great! You've included lots of my favorite places.

Hot tip: at Phillip Island upgrade to the "premium" penguin viewing spot. Well worth it. I LOVED it.

peterSale Apr 30th, 2012 06:46 PM

I agree about Hobart unless you have a particular interest in Convict history and want to vist Port Arthur.

Add more to one of theother places. The Grampians is quite a distance from Melbourne. The morningtom Penisula is lovely and closer.

Little_Miss_Flighty Apr 30th, 2012 08:30 PM

Make sure you check flight schedules for Sydney to Ayres Rock. It takes a few hours on the plane out and a few hours back which almost takes two days off any sight seeing. Make sure you look into doing the dinner at sunset by the rock..

park May 4th, 2012 02:30 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have now taken out Hobart from my itinerary and adde extra days to Sydney and Melbourne as follows:
Melbourne in 3 Nov- Out 8 Nov 5 nts
Sydney in 8 Nov- Out 11 Nov 3 nts
Uluru in 11 Nov-Out 13 Nov 2 nts
Sydney in 13 Nov-Out 18 Nov 5 nts

Do you think I should have an extra nite in Uluru or Alice Springs?
I could leave Sydney on the 19th and throw in the extra day some where else.
What do you think?

dottyp May 4th, 2012 03:54 PM

If it was me I would cut a couple of days in Sydney and add 2 days in Alice Springs. That will just touch the surface of Alice, but give you an idea of what the area is like. There are tour companies that go between Alice Springs and Ayers Rock daily so there would be no problems getting there, and would allow you to see a little more of the interesting countryside. From Alice you can fly to Sydney - I think it is around 2.5 hours flying time.
I have nothing against Sydney - it is a great city which I am visiting in July for 10 days, but it seems a pity to go to Uluru without seeing something of Alice, a place with much history.