Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

See Kangaroos roaming free, without having to go into the bush...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible near Sydney or Melbourne to see Kangaroos in a wild or somewhat wild environment?

In a TV show a few years back titled1000 places to visit before you die, it featured Australia on one segment with a couple who went to the Blue Mountains on a day trip out of Sydney. It showed them watching and getting up close to kangaroos roaming free in a large grassy area. They walked right up to them. Does anyone know anything about this place, where ever it is?

We'll be in Melbourne in February and Sydney in March 2011.

Sue
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM

The Grampians is probably the best place to see Kangaroos without going too far away. They are about a 3 hour drive from Melbourne. The Anglesea Golf Course on the Great Ocean Road and about 90mins from Melbourne is also a good Kangaroo viewing area. They are both "wild" environments.
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_...y.cfm?park=109
http://www.angleseagolfclub.com.au/
http://www.visitvictoria.com/
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I usually see some in the Megalong Valley (near Blackheath) in the Blue Mountains. Best time to see them is early morning & late afternoon in Summer.
(They know about 'mad dogs & Englishmen in the noon day sun')

I've seen references to other good viewing spots - hopefully someone else will chime in for you.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 03:58 PM

The place featured in the Blue Mountains was probably Euroka Clearing where kangaroos were introduced. Usually there are lots there, but I think Margo reported recently she didn't see any there.

The clearing is in the National Park. It's in the lower mountains behind the town of Glenbrook. There's an information centre on the road which can give you walking maps for that part of the National Park as well as many others.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 04:02 PM

There's always Sydney's Taronga Zoo, accessed by a stunning harbour ferry ride and with arguably the best views of any zoo, anywhere. Not exactly wild or even semi-wild but worth the trip for its own sake, marsupials or no marsupials.

The experience you mention would have been the Euroka Clearing at Glenbrook, which is in the lower Blue Mts (the station is about 1:15 hours by interurban electric train from Sydney's Central Station). Google it and you'll find tour options.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM

Heasville Sanctuary or Melbourne Zoo if you want to see other things as well.
http://www.zoo.org.au/HealesvilleSanctuary

Cardinia Reservoir is in the outer suburbs of Melbourne, but you will need a car.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=88
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!
Sue
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM

there's a wildlife reserve at la Trobe university -wombats and kangaroos only 16 kms from the CBD
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 02:47 AM

A shame we can't do this more efficiently. On the fringes of my suburb in Canberra I see 'wild' kangaroos up close virtually every time I go for my late afternoon walk. Occasionally, like this afternoon, a few will be found grazing on the footpath/ nature strip of the street adjoining mine and our surrounding low level ridge. Unfortunately, those that find their way to a nearby main road are liable to come to grief and keep the panel beaters busy.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 03:19 AM

Try Kuring-gai Chase National Park on the northern fringes of Sydney.
There are loads of kangaroos near the Visitor Centre above Bobbin Head, there are usually some wallabies around West Head picnic area too

cheers
MikeD
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 08:35 PM

I'm with Northie - A trip towards the north-east is a quick way to see some Kangaroos!
LaTrobe is in Bundoora:
Bundoora in the local Indigenous Australian Wurrundjeri language loosely translates to "the Land that Kangaroos love"
It's only a 40 min drive from the heart of the city and the further north you go, the less suburban it becomes, with plenty of parks in between