Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Have you done the Tasman Glacier Boat Trip? I'd love to hear your comments.

Feb 24th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

All the extra activities start to get very expensive so we're trying to narrow it down to the "must do"s.

So far on the "must do" list is the Milford sound Mitre Peak Cruise & Dart River for sure and we are vascillating on the Tasman Glacier Boat trip.

I looked at their website and the video link that they have showing a bit of the boat trip looked rather uninteresting. The glaciers were rather small....chunks of ice floating. )Hate to sound unappreciative but that was my thought)

If you' ve been and could comment, it would be great.
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:34 PM
ih

We went in the 1st week of Jan this year.The trip was really different from the Fox Glacier heli hike. the icebergs are large( very different shapes&sizes) and one spends almost 1 hr on the lake in the boat. For me it was a must see.
in addition the view of mount cook from hermitage is mind blowing because of the proximity. in case u decide book in advance as the number of seats are limited.
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:15 AM

If you are referring to the Glacier Explorer trip, then yes, it is a "must do". People we were with who did it in May last year compared it very favourably with (said it was better than) a similar trip that they had done in Patagonia.
Feb 25th, 2010, 01:32 AM

Haven't done the Tasman float trip I couldn't justify the price and just did the Hooker Valley walk which is free, There are a number of icebergs floating in that lake, a few fairly close to the shore..of course you probably won't be touching any. It's about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs each way and not very hard. It's easy to reach the trail head from Mt. Cook Village.

Last time I was in Mt Cook I went up to the Tasman overlook, I didn't think the icebergs were that large until I got back home and saw that there was a tiny tiny boat in my photos!
Feb 25th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

OK....it sounds like it's pretty cool. (literally)
We may have to do that too!

mlgb...I don't know if it was your post or anothers but I read about the Hoooker Valley walk....it's supposed to be wonderful. that's definitely on the list.