Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > Has anyone gone bareboating in the Whitsundays for first time?

Has anyone gone bareboating in the Whitsundays for first time?

Aug 2nd, 2000, 06:50 AM
shannon

Has anyone gone bareboating in the Whitsundays for first time?

We're going to Oz in September adn b/c of the Games we're by passing Sydney and heading straight for the Great Barrier Reef to bareboat sail. There are several bareboating charters to choose from...what is the best? Although not expert, we've both had some experience sailing so feel confident we can do it ourselves. This will be our first time at this. Any suggestions on who to go with or what to bring?

Aug 4th, 2000, 08:26 AM
PaulS

Shannon,

I have not personally done it but my friends have and they said they would do it again with the same company which was Australian Bareboat Charters.
They are based out of Shute Harbour but I believe they will deliver your boat to Hamilton Island if that is where you are going to fly into the Whitsunday area.

They have both motor cruisers and sailing vessels. I can tell you that the peak hiring times for this year are as follows:

01 JULY 2000 - 14 JULY 2000
16 SEP 2000 - 08 OCT 2000
26 DEC 2000 - 09 JAN 2001

They have a minimum charter of 5 nights.
They recommend you pack light casual clothing and maybe a light tracksuit.

As I type this I am getting very envious of your holiday plans, I used to do a lot of boating in the Whitsundays when I was younger and loved it.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread