Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Hamilton Island - Beach Club and flights (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/hamilton-island-beach-club-and-flights-192676/)

YankeeToOz Apr 5th, 2002 01:37 PM

Hamilton Island - Beach Club and flights

I was wondering if anyone had stayed at the Beach Club on Hamilton Island or any other hotel on Hamilton Island itself. <BR><BR>Also, does anyone know of anyone else who does flights from Hamilton Island to Cairns besides Quantas? <BR><BR>The problem is that we are staying at Hayman first, and in order to catch the only non-stop to Cairns we'd have to leave from Hayman at like 6:30 in the morning or so (which we wouldn't be happy doing...) or spend the night in Hamilton (a better option as far as we're concerned). <BR><BR>The Beach Club actually looked very nice, but I haven't really seen any reviews of it, other than very general ones in some guide books.

liz Apr 5th, 2002 01:45 PM

Its Qantas and doesn't have a u in it. You can search their website for flights on www.qantas.com.au <BR>You could always get to the mainland and go to either Prosepine and fly north or Mackay instead of Hamilton Island. <BR>I don't think you will find other aircraft with flights because Virgin has only limited access in North Queensland. <BR>I will leave comments about Beach Club to others that have stayed there. <BR>

Liz Apr 5th, 2002 01:54 PM

Forget Prosepine as I can't find where you would go from there other than Brisbane and you don't want to go backwards. <BR>I checked out Mackay and you can get from there to Cairns late in the afternoon which means that you have all day to get to Mackay if you wanted after checking out from Hayman. There are buses and trains from Prosepine. Or you probably can get light aircraft from the Island to Mackay.

aussie Apr 5th, 2002 09:33 PM

You can take a plane to Prosipine, then a bus to Airlie Beach, which is only 15min. drive away. from there you can take a boat to Hamilton Island. (I have seen these trips for $55.00.(Aus.) return. however this is a day trip fare.<BR>

Liz Apr 5th, 2002 10:23 PM

Aussie, he is going the other way, from Hamilton Island to Cairns, therefore is needs to leave from Airlie beach to somewhere that has a plane to Cairns

[email protected] Apr 6th, 2002 03:41 PM

Its Liz - she's back!

liz Apr 6th, 2002 07:09 PM

I am Liz 3 - there is/was Elizabeth 1st, there is Elizabeth 2nd and I am Liz 3

Jeremy Apr 9th, 2002 09:59 AM

I stayed at the beach club at Hamilton 2 years ago and would recommend it highly. We had a great stay. We were greeted at the airport by our own private driver and golf cart to take us to the hotel (5 minutes over the hill to the other side of the island), a person waiting outside the hotel with two tropical drinks in hand for us, a great room with private balcony and views (get an upper room - I think there are only 3 floors) and the use of the private golf cart and driver whenever we wanted. The beach club is private, for adults (no kids) and right on the beach. The only issue I could raise is that you should know Hamilton is a developed island...well done, but still more developed than others in the Whitsundays.

YankeeToOz Apr 9th, 2002 02:07 PM

Thanks for the review. I think we'll probably just be at the Beach Club for one night anyway, but it looks good. It will be sandwiched between Hayman and Silky Oaks Lodge, so some development/civilization may be a nice break.