Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Hamilton island (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/hamilton-island-110490/)

SD Mar 6th, 2001 05:55 PM

Hamilton island

Appreciate any advice/feedback on Hamilton Island and the Whitsunday Apartments - we'll be travelling with our 2-year old daughter.

Kay Mar 9th, 2001 09:32 PM

Have not stayed there personally but friends tell me it is fairly expensive to eat out on Hamilton. Obviously everything would need to be flown or shipped in so that adds to the cost. If you are from the US, you will find it cheap because of the awful exchange rate we have at the moment. <BR>You can fly directly from Sydney to Hamilton Island, that would save quite a bit of time. <BR>Hamilton is the most built up of the Qld islands (some people think far too built up for a tropical island) but very popular with families and couples. <BR>Hope this helps a bit. <BR>Kay

ALF Mar 13th, 2001 02:36 PM

Its true that Hamilton Island is quite developed, but it is still quite pleasant. Automobiles are not permitted - you can rent a golf cart to get around. There are some comparatively inexpensive places to eat around the marina area. Have never been to the Whitsunday Apartments, but all accommodations on Hamilton are very nice. You get the run of all the facilities as a guest at any one place - that includes all sorts of great pools at some hotels.

Lorraine Mar 31st, 2001 12:46 AM

We have stayed in the Whitsunday Appartments a few years ago with our two kids. <BR>We thought the furnishings were starting to look a bit worn but it may have undergone some renovations by now. I recall all of the units had a generous verandah with great views. Although at low tide there are mainly mud flats to look at. There is a good pool (and you can use the other one at the main section of the resort as well). The beach will be great for your little one - plenty of things to explore at low tide. <BR>Because you have cooking facilities you dont need to eat out every night, although when we were there the kids ate free at most of the restuarants. I recall a fairly good range - Italian, Fish and Chips; the Resort Restuarant was quite good as well. <BR>There is a good Kids Club and they have evening sessions if you want a quiet night out alone. <BR>The golf carts are fun - there are great views of the island up on a hill and the carts were handy for that. <BR>We did find some of the activities and equipment expensive to hire...although anyone coming from overseas now will be living like Kings on our worthless Aussie $. <BR>Have fun!

lorraine Mar 31st, 2001 12:49 AM

I've just re-read my message...the bit about the mud flat seems a bit negative...Like all the islands in the Whitsunday group, the surrounding waters are very shallow and the tide goes out a long way... <BR>But at high tide - it looks fantastic - just like the pictures!

sallyclose Oct 24th, 2002 11:58 AM

did you get to Hamilton Island, as I am interested to know how you found it. I would like to take my 2 daughters there in Jan 2003 and am trying to find out about package deals (airfare included) to Hamilton. How did you enjoy your trip and what package did you do as here in South Africa they do not offer any. I would appreciate any help on who to contact regaining this.