Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Greece and Turkey (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/greece-and-turkey-23409/)

vmarsh Mar 21st, 1998 03:27 PM

Greece and Turkey

Can anyone provide me wsith current info on a vacation in Greece and Turkey.????

Arizona Mar 21st, 1998 07:16 PM

We suggest you obtain copies of the Lonely Planet guides to Greece/Turkey. If you decide to go, you are in for wonderful sights -- I've been going back to Greece since 1952 and have seen many, many changes. Turkey will only whet your appetite for more of its wonders. We're big boosters of both nations -- too bad they can't see their way to building on their common interests and their futures instead of bickering about the past. We hope that you, too, will come to appreciate how wonderfully hospitable their people are -- just marvelous.

Max Apr 10th, 1998 06:08 AM

I'm Italian and so excuse me for my english.
I've been in Turkey last summer, and I think it is
a great country.
I suggest you don't stop just in tourist place;
remember that the great Turkey begin after Cappadocia.
I travelled from Istanbul to Cappadocia, and then to Nemrut Dagi (3 days, sleeping in a hut just below the top!!!); from there to Van (a great place with very nice people, and NO DANGEROUS!!!)where it's possible to go to Mt. Ararat (a very nice sight)and to Ishak Pasa Palace (please don't miss it!).
Then I came back to the west on the sea for relaxing day, and then to Selcuk to see Ephesus.

All this trip I made by Turkey Local buses, that work very well and they are confortable.
Turkish people are very nice and gentle; don't trust when someone tells you they are dangerous.

Have a nice trip (I'm sure it will be!)
Max

Aazar May 2nd, 1998 09:19 AM

I have fond memories of Greece and Turkey because that's where I went for my honey moon. Greece has beautiful islands and as a base Glyfada (the tourist suburb of Athens) is very good. Downtown Athens is good for day trips (Acropolis, etc.), the Plaka area is especially lively. Turkey has a magical blend of East and West and some pretty interesting architecture. Beaches are also nice on the Mediterranean coast (Antalya). In Istanbul stay on the Eurpoean side where most of the sites are.

Regards,

Gaar Decker May 6th, 1998 09:21 AM

I've been to Turkey 4 times and can't wait to get back! It's a wonderful country. I agree with the Italian's response. Get away from the Med. coast and see the "real" Turkey. The people are wonderful. I traveled through all of Kurdistan (Southeast) and to the Kackar mountains (Northeast). Both trips were facinating. Istanbul is magical. Write if you want more specific details. The bus system is great and cheap but driving is the real adventure! It's dirt cheap once you get away from the tourist attractions. I know a great place to stay in Antalya right in the old city by the harbor. The owner speaks and writes perfect English and is most helpful.

Jo Harriet Haley May 22nd, 1998 09:32 PM

I have been to both Greece and Turkey several times and both a great places to go--wonderful people, sights, and food (especially in Turkey). Ephesus is not to miss. The most wonderful experience to see a city very much as it was 2,000 years ago. Istambul is a lovely city. Take the local boat trip up the Bosphorus (sp?) to where it hits the Black Sea. Greece is great too. Don't spend too much time in Athens. Get out to the islands. If you can get to Crete and Santorini, do that for sure.

Paciano Diaz May 29th, 1998 12:05 PM

I recently visited both Greece and Turkey during our honeymoon. Santorini is absolutely beautiful!!!! Don't miss it. Athens is o.k. Don't miss the Acropolis, Ancient Agora and the Plaka (old part of Athens). In Turkey, don't miss Euphesus and Istanbul. Must warn you, be careful with the gypsies. Be on guard as you would anywhere else.

Judi Jun 14th, 1998 04:20 PM

Gaar - Please tell me anything else you care to about traveling to the Turkey/Greece region. This would be my first trip and Im not sure where to go or how to go about planning it. I, however, want to travel there. Email addy enclosed. Thanks J. <BR>