Which hotel would you choose in Sydney?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you please help me decide among these three?
Marriott Harbourside
Westin
Sheraton on the Park
Thank you.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:42 PM

There has been a lot of discussion on the Hotels you list and if you do a Search at the top of the page you will find lots of good information.
Personally, I recommend the Sheraton on the Park where I stay often (I am an Aussie but live 4 hours from Sydney).
The Hotel is 5* and deserves its rating (in my opinion) and I cannot fault the rooms, service or atmosphere.
However, as I said there has been lots of discussion and many different points of view.
You could also do a search on tripadvisor.com where there is also plenty of discussion.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 06:14 AM

Hi, adeleh!

Really, those hotels are peas in a pod -- it will make no difference which one you choose, as they offer the same kind of services at the same kind of wildly-inflated prices. If I had my choice of a free night at one of them (that would be the only reason I'd ever stay there), I'd choose the Marriott Harbourside (previously known as the Renaissance) because it has the best location -- right near the Harbour and the Rocks area -- and the potential for the best views (of Sydney harbour and the Bridge, if you get the right room). Next would come the Westin, as it's in a grand old building (the old Sydney GPO) which was gutted inside but has the facade (some of it, anyhow) retained. And it is close to the best shopping areas in Sydney. The Sheraton is close to Hyde Park (as you'd expect), but Hyde Park is not, frankly, a patch on its London namesake, and if you're expecting something like Central Park in New York, you're in for a big disappointment. When given a choice in Sydney, keep close to the water -- that's where the heart and soul of the city lies.

Better (for location) than any of the three you mentioned is the Old Sydney Holiday Inn. And if you want a TRADITIONAL, non-chain hotel, even better than that would be the Russell or the Lord Nelson Brewery (both over 150 years old).

adeleh, you've posted before -- months ago -- haven't you? I remember your name well, but can't recall what your request was. Is this the same trip to Sydney or are you on a revisit?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi,Alan
Yes I have posted before and it is the same very anticipated trip that will be in August. I am doing this trip portion by portion and we want to use American Express points to stay in one of these hotels. Thanks for the input, I think I will choose the Marriott.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Hi, again, adeleh!

It was nice to hear from you again, and thank you for not berating me for my tautology in the post above ("gutted inside"... since when did you ever hear of a building being gutted on the outside?)

Hope you have a great time at the Marriott. Can you specifically request a harbour view room? It's a quiet time of year, so they certainly shouldn't be full!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Les

Hi, Adeleh.
You won't be disappointed with your choice.
We stayed at the Marriott (I thought it was called the Sydney Harbour Marriott, but perhaps the Harbourside Marriott is correct), and were very happy with both the rooms and the location.
However, I don't believe you can see BOTH the bridge and the opera house from a single room, because a building blocks one or the other. We stayed on the club level (26th floor, I think), and only the club lounge, which consists of several rooms stretching across the side of the hotel, had a view of both, and then not from the same room.
And, although pricier than some (actually, probably all) of the hotels Alan is suggesting, I thought the experience was worth the price.
Les