Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   great southern route, Aussie (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/great-southern-route-aussie-665069/)

capekidnappers Dec 18th, 2006 08:17 PM

great southern route, Aussie

campervan or car and self-contained accommodation?
Any accommodation hints?
Landscape highlights?
Best walks?
Is anyone out there with something to help me urgently plan my trip?

lizF Dec 18th, 2006 09:11 PM

Uh??

shandy Dec 18th, 2006 09:22 PM

I think capekidnappers is referring to the Great Ocean Road. When are you going? It can make a big difference to the recommendations? If you are referring to the GOR there is a a ton of info on this site if you do a search.

capekidnappers Dec 18th, 2006 11:37 PM

Thank you for your perception,yes it is the Great Ocean Road I am on about, travelling in mid February - hot I think but not a peak time of travel. So any further advice, especially re economic, charcater type self contain accommodation on Port fairy and Hall's Gap?

DownUnder Dec 18th, 2006 11:45 PM

go to www.greatoceanroad.com.au for heaps of information. There are many B&B's, motels, caravan parks and rental accomodation on that route so I would suggest a self drive car if you have a reasonable budget. Halls Gap is the tourist centre in the Grampians, Lorne, Apollo Bay, Port Fairy are all very pleasant stopover towns and the Ottway Ranges are worth exploring especially the new walkway above the treetops.

shandy Dec 19th, 2006 12:34 AM

In Februray it could be very hot indeed so I would be looking at staying at B&B's, hotels etc. rather than a campervan. To my mind a small campervan without air conditioning on a very hot night isn't really fun.

I like Apollo Bay and Port Fairy as places for overnight stops. All the major viewing sites are well signposted along the way.

I second DownUnder recommendation of the Otway Fly near Forrest if you have time. See www.otwayfly.com.au

There are a lot walks in the area ranging from sections along the coastline itself (there is an 8 day walk from Apollo Bay to Port Campbell but you can just do one or two stages of it if you prefer), and walks through the Otway Ranges to the various waterfalls. Mind you in Feburary, after what is expect to be an extremely hot summer, there may not be any water to speak of. Check at the local tourist office if you are thinking of doing any them. Most of them are out the back of Apollo Bay and a couple are quite close to the Otway Fly.

Here is the website addresses of a few places you might like to have a look at for accommodation along the GOR.

www.captains.net.au
www.chocolategannets.com.au - I know this gets great reviews.
www.rayville.com.au
www.heytesburyridge.com.au
www.shearwaterhaven.com.au
www.wavesportcampbell.com.au
www.goblesmill.myportfairy.com
www.hearns.com.au
www.oscarswaterfront.com
www.myportfairy.com/shearwaterhouse/
www.vichotel.com

Most of these B&B's are quite popular so would need to pre-booked. However, if you don't want to pre-book there is plenty of motel style accommodation along the road and you won't have any trouble in February finding somewhere to stay.

Someone else might be able to help you with recommendations for accommodation around Halls Gap, but once again you would certainly find somewhere to stay even if you haven't got a booking.

capekidnappers Dec 19th, 2006 10:44 AM

Thanks for your comprehensive help Shandy, and for confirming my thoughts that a car not campervan would be preferable, especially with concerns already about travelling with a partner who prefers colder temperatures!